THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1359957

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, RECTORY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359957 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 06:10:47.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, RECTORY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: West Torrington

National Grid Reference: TF 13811 82042

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST TORRINGTON RECTORY LANE TF 18 SW (east side) 1/52 The Old Rectory II Rectory, now house. 1850, 1863. Red brick. Slate roofs with 3 ridge stacks, one with 4 tall shafts, the others with tall paired shafts. 2 storey, 4 bay front with right hand bay projecting with gable and cross finial. Plinth. First floor decorated brick band and decorated eaves. Doorway to left in gabled porch and with pointed head. Inner doorway with fanlight and partially glazed door. Three light casement to left, with segmental head. Canted bay window to right with central 3 light casement with segmental head flanked by single narrow fixed lights with segmental heads. 3 light casement to right, with segmental head. 3 pairs of casements above break through roof line with plaster lintels and steeply pitched gables. 3 light casement to right with segmental head. 2 storey polygonal chapel of 1863 attached to east wall with decorated eaves, first floor band and 2 ashlar dressed windows each of 2 pointed lights with plate traceried quatrefoil above, with fine Victorian glass, including the initials of Thomas Wimberley Mossman. Chapel interior very plain and severe with brick decorated eaves. Such a chapel is exceptionally rare in a rectory and reflects the interests and important career of the vicar Thomas Wimberley Mossman who built it. Mossman was vicar of West Torrington from 1859-1885 and was an important and controversial figure in the Oxford Movement, correspondent with Cardinal Newman and founder of a Brotherhood training poor men for the priesthood, who lived at the rectory and caused outrage by their papish dress and practices. He was a noted historian and active Liberal politician as well as being a crucial figure in the early Oecumenical movement.

Listing NGR: TF1381182042

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195427

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing