CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1359971

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, RANBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1359971 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 00:50:01.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, RANBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Market Stainton

National Grid Reference: TF 22792 79923

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARKET STAINTON RANBY ROAD TF 27 NW (east side) 627 Church of St. Michael 14.9.66 II* Parish church. C13, C14, C18, 1848. Greenstone rubble blocks, limestone ashlar dressings, red brick. Lead roofs. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel. Mid C14 west tower with plinth and C18, 3 stage brick diagonal buttresses with greenstone set- offs. Pointed west doorway with rendered, chamfered head and jambs in one, hood mould, head label stops and plank door. Pointed window above with 2 cusped ogee lights and vertical tracery. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each a pointed opening with Y tracery. Battlements and corner pinnacles above. North side of nave with plinth and 2 pointed C19 windows each with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, with mouchettes and hood mould. North side of chancel with C19 lancet with hood mould. C18 brick patching to east. East end with a pair of C19 lancets with continuous hood mould. South side of chancel with C19 brick patching. Early C13 lancet with hood mould. C19 doorway to west with pointed head, chamfered surround in one, hood mould and plank door. South side of nave with single pointed C19windows each with 3 cusped ogee lights, mouchettes and hood mould, flanking C14 porch heavily restored in C19. East and west porch walls each with single rectangular mid C14 window with 2 cusped ogee headed lights. Pointed C19 south doorway with chamfered surround in one and hood mould. Porch interior with flanking stone benches and C19 south doorway with pointed head, chamfered surround in one and plank door. 4 table tombs beneath west window, all of the Codd family dated from second half of C18 and early C19. Interior mid C14 tower arch with pointed chamfered head, polygonal responds with polygonal moulded capitals. C14 pointed chancel arch with inner chamfered order on C19 corbels. C19 screen. C19 stone quadripartite rib vault over chancel, supported on angel corbels. South doorway with segmental head and moulded surround. C19 tall octagonal font with hood. Monument in nave of grey and white marble, to Walter Walesby died 1806. Monuments in chancel, one to Francis Walesby, died 1772, of black and white marble with cherub, the other to Joshua Walesby, died 1799, of white marble with urn.

Listing NGR: TF2279279923

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195402

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing