CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1360009
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360009 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 06:33:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Huttoft
National Grid Reference:
TF 51152 76421

Details

HUTTOFT CHURCH LANE TF 57 NW

4/66 Church of 3-2-67 St. Margaret

G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C18 and restorations of 1869, 1882 and 1910. Squared greenstone and coursed limestone rubble, ashlar, brick patching, slate roofs. Western tower, nave with clerestory, aisles, chancel, south porch. The C13 4 stage tower in greenstone and limestone rubble has 2 string courses and battlemented parapet. It was raised in C14. To the belfry stage are 2 light louvred openings to each face with C14 reticulated tracery and hood moulds. To the third stage on all sides are tall C13 pointed 2 light windows with moulded surrounds, dogtooth moulding to the wide central mullion, pointed heads to the lights and vesica. The eastern opening is blocked. On the west face is a tall lancet and the angle buttresses have carved figures on the lower stages. The north aisle is C19 with a pointed 2 light window in the west end. On the north side are 4 two light windows having cusped panel tracery, 2 of which are reused, one having a triangular head, the others with flat heads, and also a pointed and roll moulded late C19 doorway with above a circular window containing 4 mouchettes. The ashlar nave clerestory is of 4 single and a pair of small lancets and may be C19. The gabled vestry is contemporary and has a 2 light window, shouldered door, and a larger 2 light window to the east. The C18 brick chancel was raised in the C19 and has a 3 light east window of that date. In the south wall is a similar window of 2 lights. The C15 south aisle has stepped buttresses and gargoyles and is lit by large 3 light windows under 4 centred arches under hood moulds enriched with fleurons and human head stops, one each to the east and the west, plus 4 to the south. Clerestory matches the north side. The gabled C15 south porch has single side lights with ogee tracery, a continuously moulded outer doorway with sprays of foliage on the concave chamfered arch and hood mould with human head stops. The matching inner doorway contains an original wooden door with ogee headed wicket. Interior. C13 continuously moulded double chamfered tower arch with filleted responds. Above is an earlier nave roof pitch. The C14 5 bay nave arcades have octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. The composite chancel arch has C14 octagonal reveals with naturalistic carved capitals now supporting an early C13 double chamfered arch with circular imposts, possibly a C18 contrivance. The nave and chancel roofs are of 1882 with painted panels. In the chancel is a C19 door to the vestry. In the south chapel are 3 reset C14 human head corbels. The fittings, including the screen and rood, are early C20, and the 3 brass chandeliers are dated 1834. The C15 octagonal font is extremely fine with figures in ogee niches on the stem, the base has at the angle large winged figures, and on the bowl are finely carved figures, with standing out hair in East Anglian fashion. The underside of the bowl is supported by angel corbels. The tall wooden font cover is C19. There are 2 good chests, one is C14 with 5 panels of geometric tracery under crocketed gables, the other is C16 with arabesque decoration. Also a large C18 coffer. In the north aisle an early barrel organ. Monuments. 2 incised floor slabs to Bartholomew Note, d.1473 and Maud Note.

Listing NGR: TF5115276420

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195589
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06100/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].