MOLECEY'S MILL AND THE GRANARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1360193

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: MOLECEY'S MILL AND THE GRANARY, STAMFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOLECEY'S MILL AND THE GRANARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360193 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2018 at 10:29:26.

Location

Statutory Address: MOLECEY'S MILL AND THE GRANARY, STAMFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: West Deeping

National Grid Reference: TF 12452 09821

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 1209-1309 WEST DEEPING STAMFORD ROAD (south side)

13/279 Molecey's Mill and the Granary 21.11.73 (formerly listed as Molecey House and Mill with Water Wheel).

II*

Mill, house and granary, now 2 houses. Cl7, 1773 granary with early C19 refronting of mill, and C20 alterations. Late C18 L shaped block with water wheel to rear. Squared limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings, and banded work to sides and granary. Collyweston slate roof with raised stone coped gables. Single gable and ridge stacks. 3 storey and garret, 5 bay front having plain parapet. Off-centre 6 panelled door with traceried fanlight, panelled reveals, moulded architrave with key and impost blocks. Covered by Doric columned portico, tetrastyle, with triglyph frieze and modillioned cornice, low pediment to centre bay only, lead covered, flanked by single tripartite glazing bar sashes. To first and second floor central glazing bar sashes are flanked by single similar windows. To left the mill building has an off-centre C20 panelled door flanked by leaded 2 light casements with to right a similar 3 light window. The upper floors have pairs of 2 light windows. Attached to the left is an advanced and gabled granary block of 3 storeys plus garret. In the ground floor a blocked door is flanked by a 2 light glazing bar casement and upper floors each have a single similar window. All windows have ashlar lintels with keystones. In the gable an ashlar datestone with initials JME and date 1773. 2 bay side front with similar windows. The water wheel chamber to rear has pantile roof with on the ridge a wooden turret. Stick baluster stair with carved string. Early C19 joinery details. Cl7 undershot water wheel modified C19,survives intact and is in working order; it is the only example in Lincolnshire of Poncelot's improved design. Grinding wheels and stones with wooden shaft. Mill retains all floors and beams. Source: N. R. Wright.

Listing NGR: TF1245209821

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 194665

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wright, N R, A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Lincolnshire

End of official listing