CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, FRIESTON ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360316 .pdf
This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:14:03.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, FRIESTON ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Kesteven (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 92323 46406
SK 94 NW HOUGH-ON-THE-HILL FRIESTON ROAD
3/105 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. C11, late C12, early C13, C15, late C17, 1787 C19. Coursed ironstone and limestone rubble, some ashlar, red brick, ashlar dressings, slate and lead roofs. West tower with circular stair turret to west, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, rectangular chancel with north aisle. C11 rubble stair turret attached to west wall of earlier tower. 3 small round headed openings in west side, the topmost with weathered cable decoration. North side has 2 small round openings and a rectangular one above. South side has 4 small round openings. Large C20 set-off at top of turret. Tower of 4 stages, the lower 3 of C11 rubble with quoins and 2 string courses, the upper C15 ashlar with single string- course. At top of rubble on west front, 2 narrow rectangular lights flank turret. North side of tower rendered with thin rectangular light in second stage and small round headed light and clock in third stage. South side has rectangular doorway with large C18 window above breaking through stringcourse. Second stage has small C11 round headed light and clock. 4 C15 bell openings each of 2 pointed windows divided by mullion and transom under single broad basket arch with grotesque head label stops. Head at apex of arch supports plinth of central pinnacle above. Moulded eaves with small sculptural decorations and large projecting gargoyles. Frieze of quatrefoils above and 8 ornate pinnacles alternating with gabled panels with finials. West front of north aisle has late C12 round headed light set in rubble with stringcourse below. C18 buttress of 2 stages with moulded plinth to north. Plinth continues across C18 north aisle of coursed rubble with ashlar bands. 3 large rectangular windows, the central one of 3 ogee headed lights flanked by single windows with 3 plain pointed lights. Central window has "1787 J. LUMX," inscribed on lintel. Various names are inscribed on stones set high between the windows. Moulded eaves above and 2 stage buttress to east. C15 clerestorey of 4 windows, each of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil under flattened triangular head with hood mould. Moulded eaves with projecting gargoyles with battlements and ornate pinnacles above. Original pitch of chancel roof visible on naves west wall. Nave's north aisle is higher than Chancel and the aisle gable has C18 red brick infilling. Plinth continues round choir with 2 C18 windows above with round heads with raised keystones with 2 stage buttress beyond. Frieze of shields set in quatrefoils above. East end of north chancel aisle has another round headed C18 window with raised keystone. Chancel east end has low moulded plinth, irregular ashlar quoins and large C15 window of 5 cusped round headed lights surmounted by 8 small lights under 4-cusped head with hoodmould. Frieze continues with ornate corner pinnacles and central finial. Plinth continues round south side of choir with 2 early C14 windows with intersecting tracery pointed heads, hoodmoulds and head label stops. Moulded eaves and frieze continue above. Small doorway in south-west corner of choir with horizontal stone lintel inserted beneath relieving arch. West of it, at a lower level than the other windows is a pointed window with intersecting tracery restored in C19, with hoodmould and early C14 caryatid figure as label stop to east, and grotesque head to west. East end of south aisle has high C15 stringcourse and a lancet with hoodmould. Upper part of south wall and gable built out from the original steeper pitch. South side of aisle has 2 C15 rectangular windows each of 3 ogee cusped lights with mouchettes above. Stringcourse runs beneath them, rising to higher level between the windows making a castellated pattern. Shallow segmental relieving arches above the windows and rectangular C15 window set between them, with 2 pointed lights, hoodmould and label stop heads. Stringcourse runs above and rises to steep point above porch revealing original pitch of its roof. South porch has large, irregular ashlar quoins, plinth and stringcourse. South doorway has round headed plain chamfered arch with plain polygonal responds. A coped gable above with finial. West side has re-set C11 window. Porch interior flanked by stone benches. Early C13 south door restored in C19, of 2 columnar jambs with plain moulded capitals, pointed arch with filleted roll mouldings. To west of porch, set between 2 stringcourses is a C12 round headed light with hoodmould. Stringcourse continues to run over west end of south aisle, original pitch of the aisle gable still visible. C15 west window of 2 lights with ogee heads and continuous mullions restored in C19.C15 clerestorey with 4 windows each of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoils under flattenedtriangular head with hoodmould. Interior west wall contains heavily restored round headed doorway set in exposed rubble walling with heavy pointing. High above is an C11 tall, narrow triangular headed blocked opening. 2 bay nave with early C13 arcade of octagonal piers and polygonal responds supporting plain chamfered pointed arched with hoodmoulds and heads in central spandrels. C15 timber ceiling with ornate bosses. C15 south aisle roof with curved braces, C20 south aisle roof. North aisle of nave blocked at east end by wall and ornate C19 canopy set over altar. Round headed opening above and rectangular aumbry below. North-east corner of south aisle has ogee headed aumbry. Early C13 chancel arch with semi-circular responds with polygonal capitals and chamfered pointed arch. Chancel 2 steps higher than nave with early C13, 2 bay north arcade with semi-circular responds, polygonal capitals and double chamfered pointed arches. Westernmost south window of chancel has head label-stops. Easternmost has nook shafts. South wall contains plain aumbry and sedilia. C15 roof with crenellations on tie beams. C19 pews, pulpit and stone font Black and white marble monument on north wall of nave to Arabella Ashton died 1792. On south wall of nave, an ornate grey and black marble monument to John Marris, died 1785. 2 large monuments in north arcade, both in white and grey marble with sarcophagus and obelisk, to Edward Payne, died 1710 and Thomas Payne, died 1742.
Listing NGR: SK9232246406
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
End of official listing