Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360324.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 12:57:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Kesteven (District Authority)
Braceby and Sapperton
National Grid Reference:
TF 01641 35352


TF 03 NW BRACEBY AND SAPPERTON MAIN STREET (south side) 3/10 Braceby 20-9-66 Church of St.Margaret

G.V. II*

Parish Church; C13, C14, C15, with C18 and C19 alterations. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; ashlar; slate, plain tiled and lead roofs. Nave with western bell-cote and clerestorey, north aisle, chancel, south porch. The west end is in 3 stages with a roll moulded plinth, 2 string courses and a C13 stone coped gable bell-cote whioh is supported on a large central buttress. Stepped side buttresses terminate at the second string course which is deeply roll moulded and acts as a plinth to the bell-cote which has 2 bell chambers. The north aisle has a slate roof and is in 2 bays marked by 3 stepped buttresses. It has been partly rebuilt in C19 and has two 2-light C14 windows with reticulated tracery recut in C19. The east aisle window is a C19 reconstruction of a C14 2-light Y traceried window. The north clerestorey has a plain moulded parapet concealing a lead roof. The two C15 3-light windows have depressed arch heads and hood moulds. The ashlar chancel, which has been partly rebuilt C19, has a plain tiled roof, stone coped gable and cross fleury to the ridge. An inscribe quoin on the east end " ichard Torry 1739" refers to a monument inside. The east end has a 3 light C14 window and the south side a small 3 slight C15 window with flat head, and stepped buttress. The south sides of the chancel and nave are in coursed limestone rubble. A string course on the nave marks the line of the removed south aisle. The C13 blocked 2 bay arcade and single bay south chapel arch are clearly visible. 2 reused early C14 2 light windows, one with Y tracery the other with flowing, are reset in the blocking. The south porch has been reset at the time of the aisle removal, possibly in C18 and has stone coped gable with cross fleury and simple pointed opening. The C13 south doorway has been rest in the blocked west arcade. The south clerestorey is as the north side. Interior: The C13 3 bay north arcade has one quatrefoil pier with fillets and octofoil pier with waterleaf capital. The west respond is semi octagonal and inscribed 'a b c d e f g'. The arches are double splayed. The blocked south aisle arcade is just visible. The scar of an earlier nave roof is visible on the west end. The C13 chancel arch has fine bowtell moulding and the imposts extend to form a moulded string course which links up with the nave arcade imposts. The nave roof is C17 with massive cross beams and purlins. Fittings and pews are all C19. The font is a plain C12/13 circular tub on octagonal base. Monuments: in the chancel a tablet decorated with angels and scrolls to Alice Torry and Richard Torry d.1739, and an inscribed grave slab to Ann Towne d.1630.

Listing NGR: TF0164135352


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/05940/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John M. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].