GATEHOUSE, 2 LODGES, STABLES, COACH HOUSE, CLOCK TOWER, WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1360342
Date first listed:
09-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
GATEHOUSE, 2 LODGES, STABLES, COACH HOUSE, CLOCK TOWER, WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATEHOUSE, 2 LODGES, STABLES, COACH HOUSE, CLOCK TOWER, WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360342 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:35:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATEHOUSE, 2 LODGES, STABLES, COACH HOUSE, CLOCK TOWER, WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Easton
National Grid Reference:
SK 92764 26711

Details

EASTON EASTON PARK SK 92 NW Gatehouse, 2 lodges, 6/80 stables, coach- house, clock tower, walls G.V. II Gatehouse, 2 lodges, stables, coach house, clock tower, walls. 1841 with later C19 addition and minor C20 alterations. Ashlar and squared coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, yellow brick, slate roofs. Gatehouse, with stable yard and clock tower to right, has to either side stone walls forming open courtyard framed by single attached lodges. The square 2 storey, 3 bay gate tower has semi-circular archway with moulded impost and architraves with stepped keyblocks and planked double gates. The projecting angle towers have single rectangular lights to each storey and moulded string courses. The tops are of helmed form with pinnacles. Above the archway is a canted oriel with cross mullioned window having corbelled out base supporting frieze with blank shields. On the corbel a shield bears the date 1841 and initials MIC. In the oriel window is stained glass reflecting the chambers use as a private chapel. To the right is a 4 centred arched planked doorway and 2 light mullioned window over, with beyond a 2 storey irregular 4 bay L-plan house, with stepped and coped decorative gables with ball finials to projecting wing. Attached to the right hand side is a tall wall with gabled coping, ramped to a central gateway having square piers, moulded cornices and orbs. Attached to the wall is a small lodge, balancing a matching lodge opposite which is now derelict and overgrown. Both lodges have shaped decorative gables with ball finials and square panels with blank shields to each gable. To left of the gatehouse is a high wall with 2 rectangular windows, an arched 4 centred doorway and 2 light mullioned window over. Beyond a semi-circular headed gateway has moulded strapwork decorated keystone bracket supporting a sheaf of corn. To either side are slightly advanced 2 storey ranges with shaped gables, with ball finials, and square plaques, carved with the Cholmeley griffin. In the stable yard are basket arched carriage doors, and in the corner a square clock tower with panelled door to base, and 3 clock faces to the principal sides, with a parapet on mock machicolations with grotesque carving. Otherwise buildings are single storey, yellow brick, added to the original design. Easton Hall, seat of the Cholmeley family, was a medieval house rebuilt early C19, substantially altered c.1840 and demolished in 1951. It stood on the south side of the gatehouse.

Listing NGR: SK9276426711

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
193321
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 27 Lincolnshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].