HAVERHOLME PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1360563
Date first listed:
12-Oct-1988
Statutory Address:
HAVERHOLME PRIORY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360563.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 15:09:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
HAVERHOLME PRIORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Ewerby and Evedon
National Grid Reference:
TF 10799 49439

Details

EWERBY AND EVEDON HAVERHOLME PARK TF 14 NW 3/23 Haverholme Priory G.V. II

A fragment only of a ruined country house in the Tudor taste. 1835 by H. E. Kendall. Red brick entirely faced with limestone ashlar, roofs collapsed. A bank of 3 octagonal stacks with roll moulded bases and embattled tops remains. What remains is a 4 bay, 2 storey front having an advanced centre bay with to right a flanking wall terminating in an octagonal tower. Moulded plinth, chamfered and moulded string courses, embattled parapets, slender angle towers to the centrepiece. The principal door has a 4 centred Tudor arched head, moulded surround, leaf and rose decoration to the spandrels. A pair of half glazed doors with Tudoresque glazing bars and blank panelled bases. Above a moulded string course and fretted parapet. Moulded and pointed inner doorway, collapsed quadrupartite ribbed vault in porch, single fixed sidelights. To left a single 2 light window, 4 centred arched heads, moulded transom. To right are 2 single windows and a 2 light window, also a shield bearing the arms of St. Gilbert of Sempringham. To first floor are a pair of 2 light windows above the porch with 3 single light windows to the right. The second storey of the centrepiece contains a further pair of matching 2 light windows. In the 2 upper stages of the right hand tower, single light windows occur in alternating directions and in the inner angle is a taller octagonal stair turret, also embattled. All windows have deeply chamfered rectangular surrounds, moulded Tudor arched heads, sunk spandrels and roll moulded mullions. The rear of the building is entirely of red brick and some straight joints suggest that elements of the house of 1780 may have been reused during the 1835 reconstruction. The interior is much reduced and the floors are collapsed. Fragments only remain of the Tudoresque plasterwork which consisted of full height arched blank panels in the hall. Some shutters remain and the doors and windows have bald roll moulded wooden architraves. In the ground floor chamber of the tower the original dark green painted plaster finish is exposed. This was the site of a Gilbertine priory founded in 1139. A house in the Gothick taste was built here in the 1780s. It was the seat of the Finch Hatton family, Earls of Winchelsea and Nottingham. members of this family are mentioned in the book 'Out of Africa', as is Haverholme itself.

Listing NGR: TF1079949439

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192569
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06601/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Patrick Banister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].