ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT FRANCIS XAVIER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1361668
Date first listed:
28-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT FRANCIS XAVIER, SALISBURY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT FRANCIS XAVIER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1361668.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 00:59:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT FRANCIS XAVIER, SALISBURY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 35636 91165

Details

SJ 3591 SALISBURY STREET L3

23/1087 Roman Catholic Church of Saint 28.6.52 Francis Xavier

G.V. II*

Catholic church. 1845-9. J. J. Scoles, the Lady Chapel added 1888 by E. Kirby. Stone with slate roof. Geometrical. Name with aisles under separate roofs, short chancel flanked by chapels with Lady chapel to 'SE' (ritual 'W' is actual N). Tower to south west has spire. Aisles have 2-light windows, north aisle has 8 to north , one to west. Nave has 4-light west windows and wheel window above, no clerestory. Tower has set-back buttresses and pointed arched entrances to south. 3-light bell openings and recessed spire behind altered parapet has lucarnes and diapered bands; 4 pinnacles at the angles of tower. Chancel of one bay has canted end with 2-light windows. Lady chapel is of 2 bays with canted corner bays. Buttresses end in pinnacles, 2 light windows; 3-light west window. Interior: Nave has 7-bay arcades on slender marble columns (now painted). Wagon roof with iron ties. Chancel arch. North aisle has trefoil heads to confessional entries. High altar and reredos by S. J. Nicholl of white marble, with arcading and pinnacles. Altar rails of coloured marble. Rood under chancel arch. Caen stone pulpit on south side of nave. Chapels have altars and rerdoses similar to High altar. Elaborate stone font at west end of nave. Lady chapel has apsidal ends to west and east, that to east forming ambulatory with arcade on marble columns. Marble wall snafts and ribbed plaster vault. Tabernacle doors said to be by Conrad Dressler. An important church in the alternative tradition to that of A. W. Pugin, and a good, largely unaltered example of Scoles' work. H. R. Hitchcock, Early Victorian Architecture, 1954, p.90.

Listing NGR: SJ3563691165

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359442
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hitchcock, HR, Early Victorian Architecture in Britain, (1954), 90

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/16008/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].