CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1363280.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:52:12.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Dover (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TR 28759 58384
10/79 Church of St.
Parish Church. Circa 1190, altered C14, with central C15 tower. Restored 1847 by Butterfield and 1861 by Christian, 1896 by Edward Fry. Flint with rubble stone and re-used tile and plain tiled roof. Cruciform with chancel, north chapel, nave,north aisle, large north porch and central tower. Double gabled west end with offset buttresses to centre and corners. Doorway and west windows largely of 1847 in Decorated style. South nave wall with exposed 2 bay arcade, now blocked, to last south aisle; C19 Perpendicular style fenestration. Transepts and chancel late C12 in origin, fenestration much restored, only 1 lancet survives in chancel south wall. Original C14 Decorated mouchette tracery in north chapel. South transept heavily restored and buttressed 1675, and set with many stones recording names of various benefactors and churchwardens at that date. C19 north porch. Central tower of 3 stages, top stage offset, with string courses and battlements and tall needle spire. South west stair turret, circular changing to octagonal and battlemented top stage. Interior: four bay north arcade in nave, the westernmost probably originally the base of a north-west tower, the walls thickened, with heavy recessed chamfered arches. The other 3 arches with large chamfers and head mould on round piers with moulded octagonal bases and capitals. Part of blocked 2 bay south arcade exposed. C19 scissor braced roof. Crossing; 4 identical C15 arches, continuous hollowed, double wave surround, and round responds with octagonal bases and capitals. South transept with tower stair turret intruding. Aisle arches with roll moulding, carried on imposts with nook shafts to responds. Decorated arch from north transept to north chapel, with continuous moulded surround and mutilated head corbels. North chapel with the only original scissor braced roof left. Chancel with string courses as base and head to windows and south door and piscina. Chamfered arch to north chapel, and also wall pierced over monuments. Fittings: arched aumbry in chancel east wall, also a square aumbry. Large trecusped piscina with label hood. Perpendicular screen to north chapel, of 4 bays, with cusped and traceried panels and moulded beam. Font: of white marble, with moulded octagonal bowl and stem on square plinth. Purchased by the churchwardens (R.M. and A.F.) for £10 in 1726. Poor box, dated 1727, R.M:A.F, fixed to north west crossing pier, moulded with coved top, swept base and panelled sides. Royal Arms of George III in north aisle, and painted stone C17 Royal Arms, draped, over north aisle/north transept arch. Brasses: Maud Clitherow, c.1435 under central tower; 4'6", with canopy, only the upper part remains, her husband Richard lost totally. In the chancel: Jane Keriel d.1455. 30.5 inches high with unique (for brasses) horned headdress. William and Annys Leweis, d.152 5/6, crude figures 1 foot high. North chapel : Christopher and Mercy Septvans (d.1575 and d.1602); 3'6" figures, he ruffed and armoured. Walter Septvans d.1642 and Jane Septvans, d.1626, 25 inch figures he (son of Christopher) no longer armoured. Monuments: an outstanding series Sir John de Goshall (attrib.) armoured knight in stone, c.1310, wearing hood, coat of mail, surcoat, leather aillettes, with legs crossed. Arms of Goshall were once visible on the shield. Below him a lady, said to be his wife, in Purbeck marble, wearing a wimple and praying. Sir John Leverick (attrib.) c.1350, under the remains of a vaulted triple canopy. Embossed armour, executed with great detail and precision, legs crossed with lion at feet, head turned slightly towards altar. The rear of the monument (i.e. in the north chapel) has an integral piscina and open arch. John de Septvans (d.1458) and Katherine Martin (d.1498). Alabaster figures on Purbeck marble chest tomb, earlier and here re-used. The figures may have been moved (in C15) from Sittingbourne Church. Heavily restored crocketed ogee canopy. Sir Thomas Septvans, d.1617, and wife Bennett, d.1612. Large alabaster wall monument; knight and his lady kneel opposite each other over a lecturn. Coffered arched surround with (Corinthian) architectural surround, with mourning children (now only 7 girls) on scrolled base. Christopher Toldervey, d.1618, similar theme and quality to the last, though in coloured marble with less elaborate surround. Richard Hougham, d.1601, wall tablet erected 1666, and Mary Lowman, d.1743, with scrolled open segmental pediment and cornucopia. Other small but interesting plaques to Henry Roberts, d.1718, the Cartwright family (from 1722), William Brett, d.1769, Dorothea and Thomas St Nicholas, d.1605, and Innocent Nicholas, d.1588. Three charity boards, two of 1742, 1 of 1837 (See BOE Kent II 1983, 128-131; see also church guide, Sir Reginald Thomas Tower, 1928 (1979 reprint).
Listing NGR: TR2875758386
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 128-131
Tower, T, Church of St Nicholas Church Guide, (1928)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing