CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1363381
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, WOOTTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1363381.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:03:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, WOOTTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Denton with Wootton
National Grid Reference:
TR 22507 46547

Details

TR 24 NW DENTON AND WOOTTON WOOTTON LANE (north side) 1/63 Church of St. 22.8.62 Martin GV II* Parish church. Early C13 with C12 evidence and with C14 alterations and restored 1878-9 by Withers and 1881. Flint and rubble with some brick repairs and with plain tiled roof. Chancel with northern vestry, nave and west tower. Two stage tower with string course to parapet with large offset buttress on north-west corner, Angle buttresses to nave. Lancets throughout, some restored, with C19 east window and C15 lancet in vestry, which is possibly remains of C15 chapel;south and north doorways with sunk quadrant moulding, north door blocked, south in 1878 porch with moulded blind arcaded woodwork on flint base. Interior: round headed reveal to tower lancet. Simple pointed tower arch, and widened chancel arch of similar pattern. Roof of 3 crown posts. Chancel roof C19 wooden waggon vault. Fittings: shelved piscina and window-seat style sedile in chancel, chamfered piscina in nave. Alabaster reredos of 1881 (as in window glass), main relief of pelican piety. Octagonal pulpit with C17 linenfold panels. C18 prayer boards to left and right of chancel arch. Monuments: 2 black and white wall plaques, to Sir John Brydges, dl839, and Rev. Charles Kinleside, d.1811, both with draped urns over sarcophagus-shaped plaques, different treatment of similar theme by same artist, T. Denman of Regent Street, London, brother-in-law of Flaxman and inheritor of his business and commissions. (See BOE Kent II 1983, p503; see also R. Gunnis).

Listing NGR: TR2227446220

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
178592
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953)
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 503

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13859/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D Godden. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].