CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1363874
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1363874.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:38:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY ROOD, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Paul Malmesbury Without
National Grid Reference:
ST 93402 83393

Details

ST 98 SW ST PAUL MALMESBURY THE STREET, Rodbourne WITHOUT (north side)

8/171 Church of the Holy Rood

28.10.59

II*

Anglican parish church. C12 (nave), C13 (chancel), C15 (south porch), 1849 alterations, 1862 south-west tower, 1903 repairs. Coursed rubble to nave and chancel, squared and coursed rubble to tower, stone dressings, ashlar to south face of south porch and buttresses, stone slate roofs. Nave, chancel, south-west tower, south-west baptistry and south porch. Nave south side has one 2- light chamfered mullion under flat head, central buttress with set- off and 2-light C19 Perpendicular style window to right. North side has C12 doorway with square abaci and tympanum with incised cross and hoodmould: plank door; single light to left. Chancel south side has triangular-arched doorway with plank door and a 2- light C15 style C19 window. North side has a 2-light C14 style window with face stops to hoodmould. Two-light C13 east window under pointed head. Three-stage tower with saddleback roof, moulded string courses and single, 2 and 3-light C13 style windows. East: doorway and crosses to gable apexes. Gabled baptistry with 2- light C13 style window. Gabled south porch wth Tudor-arched doorway with coved spandrels, embattled fret above and plank door; inner south doorway with round-headed arch and C12 tympanum with rustic Tree of Life carving and plank door. Interior. Open rafter roofs throughout. Fittings. C14 style C19 font to baptistry; several wall tablets to nave north and south walls; C13 statue niche with crocketed pinnacles to right of north door. Caroline pulpit, C15 rood screen with C19 restoration. Chancel has Hungerford Pollen tablets on south wall; trefoil- headed piscina on south wall. Morris & Co. (1863) stained glass to east window: Adam and Eve to left designed by Ford Maddox Brown, Annunciation to right by D.G. Rosetti. Stone seat with semicircular back probably C13. Decalogue boards under tower. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST9340283393

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
315797
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01393/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Kirsty Denley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].