Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1363901.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 10:20:33.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 00952 91177



4/119 Church of St Leonard



Anglican Parish Church. Entirely C15, restored in 1896. Squared and coursed rubble with stone dressings, ashlar copings and battlements and lead roofs. Nave, chancel, north-west tower, north aisle, south porch. Nave south side of 4 bays with 3-light windows under flat heads and 3-light west window under pointed head; buttresses with set-offs and embattled parapet. North aisle with two 3-light windows under flat heads, buttresses and blocking course to parapet. Chancel has C19 two-light C15 style windows to both sides and a C19 three-light east window all under pointed heads; south doorway with C15 plank door, buttresses and embattled parapet, 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses with set-offs, moulded string courses, north-east polygonal corner stair turret and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. West face has 3-light recut C15 window to first stage; 2 cusped light bell openings with timber louvres to all faces. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses, 2-light windows to side walls and pointed-arched entrance with lozenge stops to hoodmould; sundial to gable apex. Inner recut doorway with panelled and traceried plank door, statue niche above and benches either side; wagon roof. Interior. Four-bay north arcade with concave sided octagonal piers and Tudor arches: 2 statue ledges on inner piers. C15 tie-beam roofs to nave and aisle, C19 tie-beam roof to chancel, compartmented timber roof to north chapel under tower; fine head- corbels to north aisle and chancel, armorial shields to nave. Piscina on chancel south wall. Fittings. Nave and aisle have early Cl7 box pews with knobs; C15 font at south door with octagonal bowl; fragment of Saxon cross on west window sill. East bay of north aisle has a C15 parclose screen; fine 1627 pulpit with round-arched arcading, backboard and tester; 1748 brass candelabra mid-way down nave. C15 rood screen re-assembled; 1627 reader's desk, section of stalls and chair. Four wall monuments in chancel to Browne, Pleydell, Browne and Nott families (1705-26); 1731 brass candelabra. Fragments of C15 stained glass to vestry screen, late C19 stained glass to west and south-west nave windows, central aisle window and aisle east window, chancel east and south- east window. C17 pyramidal font cap and C17 surplice chest in vestry. (Aubrey & Jackson, Wiltshire Collections, 1862; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: SU0095291174


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Aubrey, , Jackson, , Wiltshire Collections, (1862)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00447/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Margaret E Lucas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].