CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1364554
Date first listed:
13-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364554.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:08:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Easton
National Grid Reference:
SU 20697 60398

Details

EASTON ROYAL EAST ON ROYAL SU 26 SW (west side) 2/197 Church of the Holy Trinity II*

Anglican parish church, 1591, for Sir Edward Seymour, Earl of Hertford, on site of medieval parish church, lengthened to west by 1 bay in 1852-3 by T.H. Wyatt, for Marquis of Ailesbury, and south vestry with tower added. Banded limestone rubble and flint, with tiled roof with crested ridges. Nave with north porch and south vestry tower. Two and 3-light windows with four centred heads, without cusping, inset in square chamfered openings. Angle buttresses at corners. West door, also four centred with waisted shields in blind spandrels, label mould and 3-light window over, probably also of 1591 and reset in extended bay. East window C19, Perpendicular style. Gabled porch with door similar to west door, C17 graffiti on jambs, and inner door with four centred arch. Interior: Nave and chancel without differentiation. Six bay roof, tie-beam trusses with king posts and arch braced collars. Short end struts with inserted quatrefoiled timber panels. Two tiers of purlins. Windbraces to bay 3. Walls plastered and floor aisles flagged. Sanctuary raised 3 steps and tiled. Fittings: Font, 1591, small limestone bowl on stem. Pulpit, sanctuary rails and pews C19, oak. Glass: East window by Lavers and Barraud, 1864. Monuments: Seymour monuments removed to Great Bedwyn church (q.v.). North wall: a) Wall tablet, 1820, white and grey marble. Cushioned oval with garland border set on grey rectangle, by Blore of Piccadilly. To William Butcher, died 1818, his wife and her brother. b) White marble on black by Hale of Baker Street. Oval panel with separate inscription, mounted on black field. To Revd David Llewellyn, died 1868, and wife. c) Slate with gilded lettering, to Mary Cooper, died 1973. South side three wall monuments: a) White marble on black, also by Hale. Raised chest with anchor, cross and chain over. To David Llewellyn, surgeon to Confederate war steamer 'Alabama', died at sea 1864. b) Tablet. White marble with grey fluted pilasters and pediment. To Rev James Lawes, died 1828, and wife. c) Memorial slab erected 1950. Polished limestone and slate, commemorating eminent persons of parish whose memorials are no longer extant, including Sir Geoffrey Esturmey, died 1245, later family and successors including Sir John Seymour, died 1465. Also 3 Powell brasses of C19 and 1 Great War brass. At rear of church two donation boards: (1) C18. William Francis, an investment of £500 for the poor, and (2) Rev Lawes, investment of £100 also for the poor. Also a cast iron plate recording £20 paid for repewing the church, reserving seats for the poor. A Trinitarian friary, founded by Stephen, archdeacon of Wiltshire, in 1245 was probably sited a short distance to the east of the medieval parish church. The present building is an interesting example of the simple form taken by the Elizabethan protestant parish church. (Easton Royal: A Short History, Sir H.H. Bashford, 1961; W.A.M., li, 365) -

Listing NGR: SU2069760398

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
312403
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bashford, H H, Easton Royal A Short History, (1961)
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 51, (1869), 365

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00456/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.J.W. Heath. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].