CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1364721
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364721.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:08:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Bishop's Itchington
National Grid Reference:
SP 38800 57714

Details

BISHOPS ITCHINGTON STATION ROAD SP35NE (West side) 5/5 Church of St. Michael 30/05/b7 GV II Church. Rebuilt 1872. Designed by Ewan Christian. Regular coursed blue lias with plinth, limestone dressings, alternating quoins and moulded cornices. Tile roofs have ridge cresting and coped gable parapets with decorated cross finials; tower has slate pyramid roof. Chancel, nave, north aisle and vestry, west tower and south porch. Gothic Revival style, with reticulated tracery. One-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. 3-light east window. 4-light straight-headed south window. Buttress of 2 offsets between chancel and nave, and between vestry and aisle. Porch has doorway of 2 chamfered orders. Small ogee east and west lancets. South doorway inside of 2 chamfered orders. Plank door. 2-light straight-headed south east window. 4-light central and 2-light windows. Vestry has 2-light east window. Shouldered north doorway. Aisle has 3-light north-east and 2-light central windows. Remainder hidden by late C20 parish room. 3-light west window. Tower of 2 stages has string course, moulded cornice and moulded parapet. 2-storey first stage. Chamfered west doorway of 2 orders. 2-light west window. Slit window to all sides. South side has clock face. Top stage has traceried 2-light bell openings. Gargoyles. Arches have hood moulds and lias outer arches throughout. Interior: simple Early English style, with plastered walls. Arches of 2 orders throughout. Chancel has segmental pointed arch to organ chamber. Chancel arch on colonnettes with fluted corbels. Arcade has round piers and moulded octagonal capitals. Responds have round capitals on corbels. Scissor braced roofs throughout; chancel and nave have collars. Fittings: reredos of marble, mosaic and encaustic tiles. Font. Early C20 Perpendicular style screen and attached pulpit. Stained glass: east window and aisle central window probably 1870s; chancel south window 1882. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.6, p,123; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.2141,

Listing NGR: SP3883057737

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
307000
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 123
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 214

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04027/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Walter Chinn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].