CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1364940
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD, MALLORY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1364940.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:24:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD, MALLORY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Warwick (District Authority)
Parish:
Bishop's Tachbrook
National Grid Reference:
SP 31371 61388

Details

BISHOPS TACHBROOK Mallory Road (north side) 16/110 Church of Saint Chad 11.4.67

GV I

Parish church. Circa mid-Cl2 origin indicated by the angles of the nave, blocked windows in north wall of chancel, and a re-set doorway in north aisle. North aisle and west tower added late in C14 followed by south aisle early in C15 and then the clerestory. East and south walls of chancel rebuilt in 1855. Vestry built in 1898. Chancel east window of three lights and tracery. Two south windows each of one light and tracery. In north wall, which is covered by the vestry, are two small C12 blocked windows. Steeply pitched plain tile nave roof. North aisle has a modern east window of two lights and tracery. In north wall are three late-Cl4 windows, each of two-trefoil lights and tracery in a square head, and a re-set walled-up C12 doorway. The west window is of two lights under a square head. Two large modern raking buttresses between windows in north wall. Low pitched lead roof. South aisle has modern east window of two lights under square head. Three south windows, easternmost is of two cinque-foiled lights under a square head, the other two are of two-trefoiled lights with foiled spandrels under square heads. West window is of two plain square-headed lights. Modern pointed south doorway of two chamfered orders and hood mould. Pitched plain tile roof. Clerestory has three windows on north side and four on south, each of two-trefoiled ogee headed lights and foiled spandrels in a square head. Plain parapet. Gabled C18 south porch with three-centred entrance archway. West tower of three storeys. Restored embattled parapets. Diagonal buttresses at angles. West window of three cinque-foiled lights and restored tracery in a two-centred head. Below is cut a modern doorway. Bell chamber lighted by tall narrow windows of two-trefoiled lights and a quatrefoil in a two-centred head. Interior: Modern barrel vaulted roof to chancel. Acutely pointed chancel arch of two chamfered orders. Nave roof divided into four bays by hollow chamfered cross-beams and wall-posts of C15 date, but it was reconstructed in 1704, date carved on westernmost beam. Nave has north and south arcades of three bays. Northern has pointed arches, those to south arcade are of slightly less span and height. Tower arch is two-centred with two hollow chamfered orders. Communion table is of C17 date. Font in south aisle is modern. Wall paintings on south wall of south aisle are of C15 and C16 date. Pulpit, circa 1860. Stained glass in east window of north aisle by William Morris and Philip Webb - 1863. Monuments: on north side chancel large monument to Coombe Wagstaff, 1668. On south side chancel monument to Sir Thomas Wagstaff and his wife, 1708. On same wall monument to John Wagstaffe and his wife Alice, 1681. In north aisle two tablets to John Rous and his wife, 1687 and to three daughters of Walter and Elizabeth Landor, 1854. On south aisle monument to Ann Burslem, 1794.



Listing NGR: SP3137361386

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
307977
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08131/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].