Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365553.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 14:13:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 13548 55038


UPAVON - SU 15 NW 2/137 Church of St. Mary 27.5.64 GV I Anglican parish church. Early C13, early C15, and restorations in 1875 by T.H. Wyatt (chancel) and J.P. Seddon (Nave). Flint, and banded limestone ashlar. Tiled roofs. Nave, north aisle with north porch, chancel with south vestry, and west tower. Chancel is late C12-early C13 with 3 round headed windows, two being in east wall and C19 central window perhaps replacing larger central C13 window. Windows are rebated externally and have apparently been reset in C19 works. Nave restored 1875 and south aisle removed earlier than 1865 and arcade blocked. Three-light Geometric windows. Triple C19 lancets with trefoiled heads to north aisle. Large C13 west tower with roll moulded west door and 3-light intersecting tracery window over. Tower of 4 stages, double rebated lancets to ringing chamber and crenellated parapet on corbel table. Interior: Chancel has narrow arch with pointed head and chevron and billet decoration, not apparently reset. Flanking round squint arches, reduced to pointed arches in chancel. Nave has 5 bay roof of C15 replacing earlier steeper pitched roof. C13 arcade of 4 bays on north, the eastern arch on a pier perhaps to a separate chapel. Round columns and capitals with arches of 2 chamfered orders. South side arcade of 3 arches only, now blocked. Tall arch to tower rising from widely chamfered imposts and with stone seats. Stair in north wall. C19 encaustic tiles in sanctuary. Fittings: under tower arch, good late C12-early C13 font, octagonal with foliated crosses, lions and an Annunciation in a late Romanesque style. It stands on 5 clustered columns. C19 wood cover. Pulpit, C19. Simple piscina and sedilia. Late C16 altar table and C19 brass altar rail. A second altar in the north aisle is a C17 chest, now containing fragmented stone wheel cross. Monuments: Chancel: Wall tablet. Carrara marble, by W. Marshall. Swept top, to Francis Giffard and wife, he died 1827. In vestry: Limestone tablet on bracket, to Thomas Chandler, died 1752, and two C19-early C20 brasses. In north aisle; five wall tablets, reading from east: a) White marble on veined black. Scroll suspended from arrow, leaves over, to Thomas Alexander, died 1863. b) White-casket on black, curved top with acroteriae, to Sarah Lampard, died 1837. c) Limestone. C18. Four oval panels in line, to Simon Jarvis and family. d) White marble square, to William Alexander, died 1786, wife and family. e) White sarcophagus on black, to Rev. John Pyke, died 1839. Also four brasses erected by the Central Flying School, Upavon, to officers killed on duty 1913, 1914 and 1927. Three painted wood charity boards, two relate to enclosure allotments of 1804. (Pevsner: Buildings of England - Wiltshire.)

Listing NGR: SU1354855039


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/09526/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].