SELBY RAILWAY STATION BUILDING ON UP PLATFORM, CANOPIES ON BOTH PLATFORMS, FOOTBRIDGE AND BENCHES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1365807

Date first listed: 14-Nov-1980

Statutory Address: SELBY RAILWAY STATION BUILDING ON UP PLATFORM, CANOPIES ON BOTH PLATFORMS, FOOTBRIDGE AND BENCHES, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SELBY RAILWAY STATION BUILDING ON UP PLATFORM, CANOPIES ON BOTH PLATFORMS, FOOTBRIDGE AND BENCHES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1365807 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2019 at 19:07:21.

Location

Statutory Address: SELBY RAILWAY STATION BUILDING ON UP PLATFORM, CANOPIES ON BOTH PLATFORMS, FOOTBRIDGE AND BENCHES, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby (District Authority)

Parish: Selby

National Grid Reference: SE 61825 32248

Details

STATION ROAD 1. ------------ 5342 Selby Railway Station: building on up platform, canopies on both platforms, footbridge and benches SE 6132 SE 5/151

II

2. Opened 2 January 1871. Building on up platform. Brown brick, with blue brick strings and chequered voussoirs: ashlar sills and some ashlar voussoirs. One storey. Nine segment-headed windows and twelve doors (each with six moulded panels) with segment-headed fanlights. Extension to south has two doors and one window. Building on down platform has been destroyed, but the canopy remains. Canopies on both platforms. Half-hipped roofs, glazed above, slate below. Down platform retains parts of its cast-iron moulded cornice with fluted consoles and simulated fretwork valance. Cast-iron trusses, moulded to simulate wood, taken on two cast-iron columns each, with stylised foliage capitals. Bridge. Single flat iron span. Sides enclosed with board and batten partitioning. Segmental boarded roof. Stair treads have contemporary wooden non-slip surfaces. Cast-iron balustrade with elaborate moulded newels: moulded wooden handrail. Cast-iron benches of rustic design. History: The first station on this site was built by the Hull and Selby Railway between 1836 and 1840. The present station was built when the North Eastern Railway built its cut-off from Chaloner Whin junction, York, to Shaftholme junction, Doncaster. The Act for this was obtained on 13 May 1864, and it was opened on 2 January 1871. Thus Selby became an important junction on through routes from London to Edinburgh, and from Liverpool to Hull.

Listing NGR: SE6182532248

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 325849

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing