Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366339 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 14:31:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 66190 34310



5/206 Church of the Holy Trinity 24.3.61 GV I

Church. Dated 1623. Local stone rubble, rendered, with Doulting stone dressings; cedar shingle roof between coped gables. Single- cell plan, 3 bays, with projecting North porch of 2 storeys. East elevation has a 3-light window in slight almost semi-circular arched recess with label; South elevation has two 3-light hollow chamfered mullioned windows with flat heads and labels over; North elevation has two similar windows, the lights having trefoil cusped heads; bay 3 has the porch, with cambered arched moulded doorway under square label, with small shields in the spandrils marked "S/HE" and "1623", and above a 2-light mullioned window to match; inside the porch a similar but more elaborate doorway with original panelled and boarded door; West end abuts the Manor House (qv); it is crowned by a small bell turret detailed like a full church tower, two stages above ridge with offset corner buttresses and battlements, and crowned with a windvane. The interior totally of C17, with a 3-centre arched plaster vault with timber ribs and bosses with shields, with painted timber tympanum between nave and chancel bearing coats of arms; some old stained glass in the East window, and below and on return walls of chancel boarded dado panels; altar rail with simple turned balusters - which could be C19 - a reredos with the Commandments behind a later crucifix, all crowned with strapwork decoration; set high in East wall two painted stone panels with heavy frames inscribed "Domus mea" and "Domus orationis": the Nave has good box pews, with hat pegs on walls, and fine stone pulpit in Classical style, with panelled pilasters, strapwork decoration, foliage decorated frieze and cornice; octagonal font on stand dated 1945, but ogee cupula cover and suspension gear is C17. Fine monument in Classical style in chancel, black and white marble with colouring, Corinthian columns carrying broken segmental pediment with achievement of arms, commemorating Henry Southworth, Esquire, Lord of the Manor of Wyke, who "at his owne charge builte and adorned this Chappell", died 1625. A chapel "built in the time of the war" was recorded in Bruton Priory archives in the third quarter of C12. (Couzens P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972).

Listing NGR: ST6619334307


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Couzens, P, Bruton in Selwood, (1972)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12748/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Miller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].