Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366851.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Apr-2020 at 22:59:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 56481 97935


HUGHLEY C.P. HUGHLEY SO 59 NE 8/60 Church of St John the Baptist 13.6.58 I

Parochial chapel, now parish church. C13 and c.1360 with early C18 belfry; restored 1871-2 by Richard Norman Shaw. Roughly coursed limestone and conglomerate rubble, sandstone ashlar dressings; timber framed belfry with red brick infill, machine tile roof with ornamental cresting and coped verges. Nave and chancel in one with west belfry; south porch. Nave: fabric of north wall C13, lancet to each side of pointed double-chamfered doorway with hoodmould; south doorway in similar style under late C17 gabled wooden porch (restored c.1871) with stone slate roof; windows in south wall (c.1360) have 2 cusped lights with quatrefoils above, one to west and 2 to east of porch; west window of 3 cusped lights with mouchettes above, restored by Shaw; timber framed belfry (1701) has close-set vertical posts with long straight tension braces; louvres and early C19 octagonal clock on south side. Chancel: in one bay has north and south windows identical to those in south wall of nave; east window of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery and cusped quatrefoil to apex; remains of stone cross to east gable. Interior: mid-C14 trussed rafter roof with carved bosses extending full length of church restored and boarded up by Shaw; late C17 carved wooden pulpit and late C19 octagonal stone font; in chancel are a pillar piscina (probably C15) and on the east wall a statue pedestal resting on the carved stone head of a woman which retains faint traces of paint;, also a stone altar slab fixed to wall on left of altar; late C14 stained glass in north and east windows - fragments of architectural canopies and figures, south window with stained glass of c.1915; chancel screen probably early C15, eight broad one-light divisions, 2 to centre with depressed arch beneath and 3 to either side, richly carved throughout with upper part of dado delicately pierced with a variety of late Decorated and Perpendicular tracery patterns, this is surmounted by a band of unpierced quatrefoils with a row of pierced quatrefoils and brattishing above; tracery to top of divisions also in a variety of forms, lierne-vaulted coving with large bosses and to the top a cornice and cresting with interweaving foliage and figural decoration; behind the screen, set in the floor, is a stone altar slab and a good set of late C14 glazed tiles; oak parish chest (possibly medieval) at west end of nave. No monuments of note. The church was originally a dependent chapelry of Much Wenlock and did not become a separate parish until the latter half of C14. The screen is said to be the finest in the county. B,o.E., Pp. 154-5; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 3 (1897), Pp. 197-9.

Listing NGR: SO5648497932


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 197-9
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12446/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Angie Tuer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].