PRADOE CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1367173
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
PRADOE CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of PRADOE CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1367173.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:41:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
PRADOE CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ruyton-XI-Towns
National Grid Reference:
SJ 36351 24824

Details

RUYTON-XI-TOWNS C.P. - SJ 32 SE

8/128 Pradoe Church -

- II

Estate chapel. 1860-1 by Rhode Hawkins for Louisa Charlotte Kenyon; chancel and north aisle added in 1864. Snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; machine tile roofs with coped verges and ornamental cresting. Nave; chancel; north chancel aisle and north tower. Decorated style. Tower. In 2 stages with double-chamfered string course and diagonal buttresses to bottom stage at north-east and north-west corners. Chamfered rectangular window to ground floor on north and single-chamfered pointed doorway to west. Belfry windows of 2 cusped lights with trefoils above and head-stops to hoodmoulds. Cornice with dogtooth decoration and pyramidal spire. Nave. Buttressed in 3 bays to south. Window with Geometrical tracery to centre and cusped lancet to right. Gabled timber porch to left over pointed chamfered doorway. West window of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil above and foliated label- stops to hoodmould. Stone dentilled eaves cornice on north and south sides continued to chancel. This has 2 cusped lancets to south and east window of 3 lights with Geometrical tracery, hoodmould and floriated label-stops. North chancel aisle has single cusped window to west of shouldered doorway under lean-to hood carried down from roof. East window similar to that of chancel. Interior. Trussed rafter roofs to nave and chancel. Pointed chancel arch with richly foliated corbelled responds. North chancel arcade in 3 bays with 2 clustered columns supporting foliated capitals; pierced trefoils above to spandrels. Pointed single-chamfered doorway to tower. Fittings and furnishings c.1860 or later, including pulpit and octagonal font (c.1868). C19 copy of Van Eyck's Triptych for Ghent Cathedral by south door. Marble and mosaic reredos c.1897 and encaustic tiles in sanctuary. Stained glass in chancel probably c.1864 and west window commemorates Rowland Whitehall Kenyon (died 1873). Monuments. Plain wall memorial to founder: chancel, south side. Henry, son of Thomas Kenyon (died 1827) at west end of nave: plaster copy of original monument at Pradoe (q.v.) by Thomas Carline of Shrewsbury - sleeping child. B.o.E. p. 124.

Listing NGR: SJ3635124824

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
256680
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 124

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01313/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Myk Briggs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].