CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1367480
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1367480.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:47:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Oxendon
National Grid Reference:
SP 73557 83938

Details

GREAT OXENDON SP78SN 3/33 Church of St. Helen 02/11/54

- II*

Church. C13, C14 with C19 restoration. Squared coursed lias and limestone with concrete tiled roof to nave, chancel and north aisle and porch and aluminium roof to south aisle. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel of one window range of 2-light square headed windows to north and south. 3-light C19 east window with reticulated tracery. Gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finials. South aisle of 2-window range, 2-light C19 window to left with cusped tracery. 3-light square-headed window to right. Similar 3-light east window. Gabled porch between windows has single chamfered arch and Decorated door surround in south wall with plank and braced door. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. North aisle similar with two 3-light square headed windows. North porch between windows has blocked door and window openings and is now used as a vestry. Angle and clasping buttresses throughout. West tower of 3 stages with string course sub-divisions in first and third stage. 3 stage ashlar buttresses in first stage. Each stage sets back in receeding steps. 2-light bell chamber openings to each face of the third stage. Castellated parapet with square pinnacles at the corners has sections missing. Interior: Double chamfered chancel arch, 3-bay nave arcade. That to south is C13 with double chamfered arches, circular piers and circular capitals and abaci. That to the north is C14 with double chamfered arches, quatrefoil piers and ball flower enrichment. There are 2 half arches across the north aisle. The triple chamfered tower arch has capitals with flowers. Chancel roof is C19 and nave roof is C20. There is a sedilia in the left wall of the chancel. Stained glass: East window by Powell 1870. Stained glass also to east and south east windows of south aisle. Font, tub shape probably C12, with vertical zig zag decoration. Monument, marble table, is to Elizabeth Harrison died 1837. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.236).

Listing NGR: SP7355783938

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360286
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/12094/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne French. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].