CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1371006
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371006.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 03:11:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ford
National Grid Reference:
NT 94466 37402

Details

FORD FORD VILLAGE NT 9437 17/97 Church of St. 21.9.51 Michael and All Angels GV II*

Parish church. C13, extensively restored 1853 by John Dobson. Squared stone; nave has Welsh slate roof, chancel clay tile roof. Nave with aisles, south porch, chancel and north vestry; west bellcote.

Three-bay nave with porch to left. Each bay has pair of lancets; drip moulds with head stops, the detail of 1853. South-west and south-east angle buttresses are medieval; the eastern one has two trefoiled niches. North aisle of 1853.

West projection rising to monumental 2-tier bellcote, with paired lancet bell openings on 1st tier and single lancet above, stone pyramidal roof. Window to north of projection is an original lancet.

Five-bay chancel has C19 lancets with head stops. Three-light Geometric east window.

Interior: early C13 two-bay south arcade has round piers and bases, octagonal capitals and pointed double-chamfered arches; west pier has dogtooth. Octagonal responds, the west respond with a C13 head stop. North arcade and chancel arch by Dobson. West lancet has shouldered rere-arch. Trefoiled piscina in south- east corner of nave. Six medieval grave slabs or parts of slabs set in floor at west end of nave. Elaborate Decorated stone reredos of 1892 by W.S. Hicks. War memorial of c.1920 in coloured marble with ceramic picture of St. George.

Northumberland County History: Volume XI.

Listing NGR: NT9446637402

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 21 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238064
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Vickers, K H , 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parishes Carham Branxton Kirknewton Wooler and Ford, , Vol. 11, (1922)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 21 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/155432
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33463

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/06145/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Don Brownlow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].