CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1371119
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Aug-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371119 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 14:41:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Rothbury
National Grid Reference:
NU 05772 01657

Details

ROTHBURY CHURCH STREET NU 0501 (East side) 25/267 Church of All Saints (formerly listed as 21.10.53 Rothbury Church) GV II*

Parish Church, on important Pre-Conquest site. Chancel and east walls of transepts C13, chancel north arcade late C14; remainder 1849-50 by G. Pickering, except for chancel vestries of 1887 and west window of 1900. Medieval parts squared stone; C19 work tooled-and-margined stone with ashlar dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roofs. 4-bay aisled nave with west tower flanked by vestries, south-west porch, transepts with 2-bay western aisles and chancel with north vestries. C19 parts in C13/early C14 style.

Chamfered plinths. 3-stage tower with stepped angle buttresses and south-west stair turret. Studded west door with ornamental hinges and moulded arch on 3 orders of colonettes, under 2-light window. 2nd stage has 2 trefoiled lancets on west and clock faces; belfry has 2-light windows with foiled circle in spandrel, under multi-chamfered arches; embattled parapet. Stair turret has shoulder-arched doorway at base and gabled top with pierced quatrefoil. Aisles have stepped buttresses and lancet windows; clerestorey of paired lancets. Porch has tall double-chamfered arch and paired lancets on east return. Transepts have lancet windows; the three on the east of the south transept are medieval, the narrower northern one being the east window of the early C13 south aisle. South wall of chancel 3 bays, divided by stepped buttresses, with central shoulder-arched priest's door; pairs of lancets, those in west bay, along with adjacent buttress, being C19 restoration. East end shows triplet of double-chamfered lancets. Coped gables with finial crosses.

Interior: Plastered. Double-chamfered arcades on octagonal piers with moulded capitals; similar responds, except for C13 shafted corbel with nail-head ornament, at east end of south arcade. Double-chamfered tower arch. 1887 arch on C14 responds in east wall of north transept. C13 chancel arch of 2 continuous chamfered orders. 2-bay north chancel arcade, to former Cartington chapel, of broad double-chamfered arches on low octagonal pier. Piscina with wide cusped arch on south. C19 arch-braced collar-beam roofs on moulded corbels.

Tiled sanctuary with panelled dado; arcaded stone reredos with marble shafts. Richly-carved 1905 chancel screen and pulpit with saints under canopied niches. 1912 tower screen. Font: shaft is bottom part of important cross of c.800 with Ascension and inhabited vine scrolls; bowl dated 1664 with knotwork and interlace; cover of 1914. Monuments: set in porch walls are 2 small C13/14 cross slabs and part of C12 gravestone or cross, and 1710 ledger stone to Captain George Fletcher, 'High Sherrif' of Northumberland. On chancel north wall mural monument to Rector John Tomlinson and Mary, 'the truly vertuous Matron', his wife, c.1720. Several early C19 wall tablets in nave. Chancel stained glass: 1886 crucifixion with B.V. Mary and St. John in east windows; Northumbrian saints as memorial to Rev. Medd (d.1894) on south.

Historical note: the previous west tower, demolished in 1850, appears to have been of Pre-Conquest, like that of Jarrow,linking two early churches; the foundations of the western church, extending beneath and beyond Church Street were traceable in the C18.

Listing NGR: NU0577201657

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236612
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08015/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David A Cotton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].