This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1371514



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Middleton Cheney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234436

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


MIDDLETON CHENEY CHURCH LANE SP4942 (East side) 11/165 Church of All Saints 04/02/69 GV I

Church. Early C14 with Perpendicular tower. Restored 1865 by Sir G.G. Scott. Squared uncoursed ironstone and ironstone ashlar, lead and stone slate roofs. Chancel with north vestry, aisled nave with clerestory. South porch, west tower. Windows in chancel and aisles all have early C14 geometric tracery (some renewed C19). 4-light east window in chancel, 2-light windows in side walls. 3-light east windows in aisles, 2-light windows in side walls. C14 gabled south porch with stone vault carried on transverse arch with head corbels and tracery motifs above it. Inner doorway, early C14, has jamb shafts with bell capitals and hood with head stops. Medieval studded plank door with its original wicket. North doorway C14, with continuous mouldings. West tower of 3 stages, has cornice with gargoyles; castellated parapet with blind tracery and a pair of pinnacles at each corner linked to the octagonal spine by flying buttresses. Elaborately carved west doorway has continuous mouldings set with rosettes flanked by small figures of the Virgin Mary and angel Gabriel. Square hood with a frieze of angels with outspread wings. 3-light window above with panel tracery and 2-light traceried bell openings. Interior: Piscina in chancel has cusped arch and gabled hood with head stops. C14 chancel arch, responds altered C19. 4-bay nave arcades with quatrefoil piers, arches of 2 orders and hoods with head stops. Perpendicular roofs in chancel and nave have stone head corbels and C19 painted decoration. Perpendicular font, octagonal, carved with rosettes. Perpendicular polygonal pulpit with blind tracery and C19 painted decoration. Perpendicular chancel screen with cresting by Sir G.G. Scott. Benches Perpendicular. Mosaics at west ends of aisles by Powell and Son, that in north aisle designed by Holiday. Important collection of stained glass by the William Morris firm. East window of chancel. 1864-5 designed by William Morris, Philip Mebb, E Burne-Jones and Ford Maddox Brown, who also designed other windows in the chancel and aisles. Burne-Jones was a friend of the vicar W.C. Buckley (died 1892). He designed his own memorial window in the chancel in collaboration with Burne-Jones. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p. 304-6; A.C. Sewter: The Stained Glass of William Morris and his Circle, Yale 1974-5, 2 Vols. Catalogue volume, p.133-134).

Listing NGR: SP4985142032

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 304-6
Sewter, A , The Stained Glass of William Morris and his Circle, (1975), 133-134

National Grid Reference: SP 49851 42032


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371514 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 05:33:14.

End of official listing