CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1371529
Date first listed:
17-May-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371529.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:29:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Whittlebury
National Grid Reference:
SP 68960 44230

Details

WHITTLEBURY CHURCH WAY SP64SE (West side) 7/116 Church of St. Mary 17/05/60

GV II*

Church. C13, C14, restored 1870 by J.P. St. Aubyn at expense of Sir Reginald Loder of Whittlebury Lodge, tower raised 1887. Coursed squared limestone and ironstone, plain tile roofs. Chancel, vestry and organ chamber, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window with geometrical tracery, 2-light Decorated style windows to south, all with hood moulds. Vestry and organ chamber to north with 3-light Decorated window to north with hood mould, hollow-chamfered door to north-west and 3-light straight-headed window to organ chamber. North aisle has tall 4-light arch mullion window to north-east of ironstone, with cut spandrels and hood mould, a stone inscribed 'GW' to left of head, another to right inscribed 'IR 1775', a buttress to middle of north wall, blocked chamfered north door with hood mould and 2-light window to north-west with Y-tracery of ironstone and hood mould with label stops, datestone inscribed '1638' to north-west corner and rose window of 1870 to west with hood mould, tall plain stone-coped parapet and chamfered plinth to north-east bay. South aisle has 2-light Decorated style windows to south and one-light window to east with quatrefoil in head with hood mould. South door has sunk-quadrant moulded arch and hood mould in south porch with double sunk-quadrant moulded arch with hood mould. 3-stage west tower has chamfered west door with hood mould, 1-light windows to middle stage recessed in chamfered surround, stone clock face to middle stage. South inscribed 'Thomas Cooke, 1808', 2-light bell-openings with Y-tracery and hood moulds, diagonal buttresses and battlemented parapet. Chancel, south aisle and porch have stone chamfered eaves and stone-coped gables. Interior: chancel has encaustic tiled floors and elaborate marble reredos with 3 mosaic panels above altar, piscina with 2 pointed trefoil arches and corner colonette in splay of south-east window and fine C19 arch-braced collar-truss roof. Nave has 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers and polygonal responds except for semi-circular respond with shaft, to south-west, plain moulded capitals, and double-chafmered arches. Fine C19 crown-post roof. Tower arch has chamfered jambs, moulded imposts, arch chamfered to head with nailhead and beaded fillet surround and outer arch with similar ornament; nutmeg frieze higher up on west wall. Floor of south porch of slate laid edgewise in square blocks, in alternating directions. Parish chest of c.1300 with fine ironwork. C19 stained glass windows in north-east and south-east aisle windows and east and south-east chancel windows. Cl9 marble wall monuments including large monument to Charlotte Bradshaw d.1820 by Chatney.

(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, pp.460-1 Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928).

Listing NGR: SP6896044230

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
234626
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 460-1
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1928)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00478/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Robert Skears. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].