CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1371603
Date first listed:
17-May-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, BLAKESLEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371603.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 17:38:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, BLAKESLEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Adstone
National Grid Reference:
SP 59578 51371

Details

ADSTONE BLAKESLEY LANE SP55SE (North side) 1/25 Church of All Saints 17/05/60

- II

Church. C13 with C14 and C15 work, chancel of 1843 when the church was also restored, re-seated 1869, new roof 1883. Coursed squared ironstone, plain tile roofs except for lead roof to south aisle. Chancel, nave, south aisle, west porch. One-bay chancel has 3-light Perpendicular style east window, with hood mould, diagonal offset buttresses, chamfered plinth and stone-coped gable with kneelers. Nave has 3-light Perpendicular window to north-east, blocked chamfered north door, and 2-light Decorated window to north-west, all with hood moulds. Clerestory to south has three small 2-light windows with straight heads, pointed trefoil heads to lights and cut spandrels. South aisle has 2-light Decorated east window and two 3-light chamfered stone mullion windows to south, all with hood moulds; also quoins, chamfered plinth, stone bench to west and chamfered stone eaves. West porch has chamfered doorway with 4-centred head and hood mould. Chamfered west door within with hood mould. Single chamfered lancet window to west end of nave above porch and bell-cote to west gable; angle buttresses between bays to north, chamfered plinth, moulded stone eaves and stone-coped gables with kneelers. Interior: nave has 3-bay north arcade with circular piers, capitals and chamfered arches, chamfer continuous to east and west ends. Blocked north door has round-headed arch inside. Octagonal stone font dated 1843 on base with carved stem and bowl in archaic style; various arms carved on sides of bowl including Royal Arms in lozenge. Ceramic C19 Lord's Prayer and Creed tablets. Formerly a Chapelry of Canons Ashby, served until Reformation by monks of Canons Ashby Priory. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.75; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928).

Listing NGR: SP5957851371

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235043
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961)
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1928)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Nov 2003
Reference: IOE01/11565/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].