CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1372544
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372544.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:15:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Corby (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 87124 85851

Details

CORBY CHURCH DRIVE SP88NE (North side) Great Oakley 7/2 Church of St. Michael 25/02/57

GV II*

Church. C13, C15 and C17. Regular coursed limestone with ashlar tower and porch and C20 artificial slate roof. Nave, chancel, south aisle, west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel, C15, of one-window range with 3-light window with arch-head lights. Small side lancet to left. Gabled roof with stepped and castellated parapet. 3-light square-head east window has arch-head lights and wood lintel. North elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2-light square-head windows. South aisle of 3-window range of 2- and 3-light square-head windows. Steep gable roof forms catslide with the nave roof and has ashlar gable parapet, part stepped at apex. Gabled porch to centre has double chamfered outer arch and roll moulded inner arch. North elevation of nave of 3-window range with two 4-light square-head windows, with arch-head lights to right and C14 two-light window to left. South door to right of centre. Gable roof with stepped parapet. West tower c.1618 of 2 stages with deep roll moulded plinth at base. Shallow 3-stage buttress at western corners. 2-light square-head bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage. Castellated parapet. Interior: 5-bay south arcade to nave is arranged in bays of 2 and 3 with section of wall between. Double chamfered arches with octagonal piers. Double chamfered 4-centred chancel arch with octagonal responds. Nave ceiling is a plastered tunnel vault with plain tie beams. C20 chancel roof. Arched tomb recess behind pulpit. Late C18 panelled pulpit has C19 family pew attached to rear. Vestry screen has two original panels probably C17. Perpendicular chancel screen restored C19. Communion rail with turned balusters. Piscina with trefoil head to right of altar. Monuments: Arthur Brooke died 1620, north wall of chancel; inscribed brass plaque is in stone tablet with reeded pilasters, dentilled cornice and scrolls with obelisks over; plain tomb chest below. Mary Supple died 1782, south wall of chancel, bow fronted stone tablet on brackets. Sir Richard Brooke de Capell Brooke died 1829, marble tablet by Francis of London with draped urn. Other tablets to de Capell Brooke family, 5 hatchments in chancel roof and one above family pew in nave. Inscribed brass plaque in south wall of chancel. Octagonal font. C19 misericords in chancel incorporate earlier work said to originate from Pipewell Abbey. Stained glass; north chancel window has fragments of medieval glass. (Buildings of England Northamptonshire, p.235).Pair of headstones. One is dated 1681, other is similar C17. Limestone ashlar. Scull decoration. Partially legible inscriptions.



Listing NGR: SP8712485851

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
229782
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 235

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03641/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Lummis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].