CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1373694
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373694.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:49:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Hickling
National Grid Reference:
TG 41494 24258

Details

TG 42 SW HICKLING THE WALK (north side)

6/13 Church of St. Mary 16.4.55

G.V. II*

Parish church. Mainly late C14, tower C15, restored 1875-76, tower restored 1890. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. 4 stage tower supported by angle buttresses with flushwork decoration. Plinth with cusped wavy motif. Elaborately wave moulded west doorway with shields in the jambs. Vegetative carved spandrels and square surround, the frieze of which has a further row of shields. Above is 3-light Perpendicular window also with shields in the jambs, carved spandrels and a square surround. This window interrupts string course of second stage and is below an ogeed cusped statuary niche. Ringing chamber with traceried square ventilation panels. 2-light cusped belfry windows. Flushwork crenellated parapet with trefoils and quatrefoils in panels. Nave with stepped side buttresses, angled to corners. 4 side windows of 3 lights each to aisles alternating between 4 petal motif and divergent supermullion type. Aisle west windows are of petal form, east windows of supermullion design, all renewed. Square 2 storey south porch with diagonal buttresses. Ogee moulded entrance arch in square surround with carved spandrels. Statuary niche and wall sundial above. Crenellated flushwork parapet extends to west over polygonal parvis stair turret. One slit light east and west to first floor. Moulded north doorway. Chancel very heavily restored. Priests' door to south under depressed arch. 4-light east window of petal type. No buttresses or flanking windows. Interior. 5 bay octagonal arcade with polygonal capitals and bases. Double chamfered arches. C19 arch braced nave roof. Aisle roofs with principals on arched braces to foliate corbels. Wave moulded tower arch with circular responds on polygonal bases and with polygonal crenellated capitals. C14 octagonal font. Stem and bowl panels alternate between 2-light ogeed tracery and leaf motifs. Double chamfered chancel arch on polygonal responds. At east end of north aisle a tomb chest in 3 large and 4 small panels, the larger decorated with cartouches. 2 bay C19 chancel roof on false hammerbeams. Wall monument to John Calthrop 1688 : bowed marble inscription panel between pair of Ionic columns supporting entablature and achievement.

Listing NGR: TG4149424258

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
223648
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03005/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].