Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1373826.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:54:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 29886 24123


SLOLEY TG 22 SE 7/20 Church of St. 16:4:55 Bartholomew

- II*

Parish church. Late C13/early C14 and later. Flint with stone dressings; roofs of black glazed pantiles, lead and thatch. North west tower, nave with north and south aisles, chancel. Embattled tower of c1300; west diagonal buttresses - added in C15; west window C19 Decorated; bell openings C19 Perpendicular blocked to north. Nave of 4 bays, diagonal buttress to south west corner; C19 west window; south aisle of knapped flint; C19 4-light square- headed windows; doorway to first bay with continuous moulding with hood-mould over; blocked doorway to third bay; north aisle C19 square-headed 3-light cusped windows; south clerestorey windows of C19 having 2 lights with 4- centred arches. North clerestorey stone surrounds to 2 light cusped windows; pantile roof. Chancel of 2 bays with C19 fenestration; blocked Y-tracery window of c1300 in north chancel wall; thatched roof. Interior. 3 bay south aisle; 4 bay north aisle, late C15 octagonal piers, double hollow-chamfered 4-centred arches; arch-braced roofs to nave and chancel much restored in 1909; restored chancel arch with hood mould; cusped piscinae in south aisle and chancel. Tomb in south aisle dated 1439 to Oliver Le Gros. Fine C15 seven sacrament font. Furnishings of restoration of 1841.

Listing NGR: TG2988624123


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05267/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].