CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1374655
Date first listed:
03-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CAVERSWALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374655.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:02:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CAVERSWALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
Parish:
Caverswall
National Grid Reference:
SJ 95168 42788

Details

SJ 9542 CAVERSWALL C.P. CAVERSWALL ROAD (West side)

12/8 Church of St. Peter

3.1.67 GV II*

Parish Church. C12 and C13. Core remodelled C15 and substantially altered C17 and restored 1880 by Lynam. Coursed, squared and dressed red sandstone; tiled roofs; verge parapets. West tower, nave, north and south aisles and chancel. Tower: squat and square of approximately 3 stages with diagonal buttresses of four stages; raised string under crenellated parapet, small pinnacles at angles; two-light, almost round-arched bell chamber openings, 3-light west window with panel tracery. Nave: clerestory of three C17 four-light chamfer mullion windows. North aisle: C13,flat roofed behind parapet,buttressed at angles;2, 2, 3,light windows, the former pair curvilinear the latter geometric, all with labelled, virtually round arches; round arch door to west bay. South aisle: similar,but all three 3-light windows appear to date from the C19 work, small gabled porch over door on west bay. Chancel: C12 of similar ridge but lower eaves height, two wide bays divided by thin buttresses with lancets to either side of east bay; east window of two round-arched lancets with tall round relieving arch. Small C19 flat-roofed vestry to south side. Interior: nave of 5 bays on round columns and with (C17) round arches, the west bay is shorter and therefore pointed to achieve a similar height. Arch braced collar roof with brattished purlins and exposed rafters, pointed C19 chancel arch by Lynam; chancel roof of trussed rafters, aisles beamed. Pulpit C17 oak, octagonal and with miniature blind panel arcading of typical style. Font: stone, octagonal on octagonal plinth. Glass: Kempe, Holiday and Selwyn Image. Monuments: (chancel, north side from west to east) Parker C17, painted; broken segmental pediment over 3 panels flanked by Corinthian pilasters, apron below. Sir Thomas Parker 1784 marble plaque with obelisk finial, figured urn in low relief, fluted side bands. Countess of St. Vincent 1816 by Chantrey; marble, kneeling figure (C17 plaque directly behind). South side: George Graddock 1643; stone, exhuberantly powerful baroque high relief pedestal and urn, gadrooned above cornice and with flanking festooning. Matthew Craddock; C17 painted plaque. The Craddock family were responsible for the work at Caverswall Castle (q.v.). B.0.E. p. 95.

Listing NGR: SJ9516842788

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
274810
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 95

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/09452/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ken Bourne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].