REMAINS OF NORTH WEST RANGE OF WHITE CLOTH HALL INCLUDING ENTRANCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1375283
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF NORTH WEST RANGE OF WHITE CLOTH HALL INCLUDING ENTRANCE, 27, CROWN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375283.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 23:17:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF NORTH WEST RANGE OF WHITE CLOTH HALL INCLUDING ENTRANCE, 27, CROWN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30417 33348

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW CROWN STREET 714-1/78/145 (East side) 19/10/51 No.27 Remains of north-west range of White Cloth Hall, including entrance (Formerly Listed as: CROWN STREET White Cloth Hall)

GV II*

Entrance to cloth hall, now shops. Opened 1776, cupola from Second Cloth Hall of 1756, altered 1865 and C20. Red brick, part rendered and lined in imitation of ashlar, stone dressings, stone cupola, slate roof. 10 arches of a blind arcade remain from the much longer west range of the hall which took the form of 4 wings ranged around a rectangular courtyard, the northern range including the upper Assembly Rooms (qv). Facade: 3-arched entrance bay breaks forward with mouldings and key-blocks to arches on imposts above rusticated pilasters; central wide carriage entrance, glazed door in architrave to left; pediment above frames remains of shouldered architrave to circular window (blocked). Flanking blind arcade (4 to left, 3 to right) has plain impost blocks and probably inserted openings. Rear: walling to right of entrance bay intact: 4 round-arched recesses, 2 retaining original small-pane windows; stone sills and impost blocks; brick dentilled eaves. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Leeds cloth market was held in Briggate until the First Cloth Hall for undyed (white) cloth was opened in Kirkgate (qv) in 1711. Weavers bought from the merchants of the city who would then finish, dye and resell. In 1756 the expansion in the trade resulted in the construction of the Second Cloth Hall in Meadow Lane, by which time 4,000-5,000 clothiers attended the Leeds cloth halls each week. The merchants financed this, the third Cloth Hall in the 1770s, a period when three-quarters of the cloth passing through Leeds was exported, one of the country's major exports. The development of factory processing of cloth through all its stages in the early C19 caused the decline in the use of the Cloth Hall and when the viaduct carrying the new railway line was built in 1865 a large part of the building was demolished. No.25 White Cloth Hall (part) and the Industrial premises to rear of Third White Cloth Hall entrance range are not included

as part of this listing (Burt, S & Grady, K: The Merchants' Golden Age: Leeds 1700-1790: 1987-: 11; ).





Listing NGR: SE3041733348

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
466168
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Burt, , Grady, , The Merchants Golden Age Leeds 1700-1790, (1987), 11

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08410/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Karran. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].