CHURCH OF ST GABRIEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376148
Date first listed:
20-Aug-1998
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GABRIEL, BISHOPS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GABRIEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376148 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 06:22:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GABRIEL, BISHOPS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bury (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 82521 02730

Details

SD 80 SW BISHOPS ROAD

326/10/10039 Church of St Gabriel

II

Church. 1932-3 by Isaac Taylor and W Cecil Young. Brown Blockley brick, Westmorland slate roofs. Squat (liturgical) west tower with set backs and hipped roof, with single-storey north chapel (former children's corner) and south porch; "basilica" plan has eight-bay nave with clerestory windows; short sanctuary; one-storey north vestry and south sacristy linked by a corridor with east door. Elegant use of brickwork and stepped massing. Architectural and decorative detailing includes: upright stretcher and header courses of brickwork for chamfered plinth, door heads, window heads and sills. The west end has panelled doors flanked by shallow pilasters with tapering moulded finials; circular windows above between shallow clasping buttresses; stepped belfry stage with squat louvred openings. The hipped roof is surmounted by a plain cross. Square four-by-four pane windows to nave clerestory and vestry, some with central six panes pivotted, in metal frames, and with shallow buttresses between. Smaller windows to vestries in same manner. Circular windows to chancel. Interior is long and narrow, with white walls and open timber roof to nave, having king posts with splayed braces. Round arch to sanctuary, which has flat painted and gilded ceiling. The nave has always had rush- seated chairs, but at the cast end there are handsome choir stalls and pulpit designed by the architects, of timber and combining solid arts and crafts workmanship with C17 elements, reflecting the C17 style treatment of the west door. Sanctuary with Ancaster stone pavement and steps. Panelling with similar finials at cast end, above which the large painted crucifix is part of the original composition. Children's corner remodelled as Lady Chapel in 1952, with stained glass window. West end of nave now truncated by one bay, with full-height wall incorporating original gallery front, with late C20 doors below. Behind this a low ceiling has been inserted. 1934 font with Ancaster stone tulip shaped bowl on chamfered based with carved wave motif below the rim and a wooden lid. Taylor and Young were the most significant church practice to work in the Manchester area in the inter-war years and their churches are powerful compositions that make the best of limited budgets. St Gabriel's is a carefully considered amalgam of C17 brick and timber motifs within a massing derived from contemporary Dutch and North German sources that make for a fine, distinctive composition. It is one of the firm's finest churches. Sources Incorporated Church Building Society, New Churches Illustrated, 1936

Listing NGR: SD8252102730

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470140
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Incorporated Church Building Society, , New Churches Illustrated, (1936)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02774/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].