CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1376724
Date first listed:
19-Dec-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376724.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:22:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Kedington
National Grid Reference:
TL 70502 47026

Details

KEDINGTON

832/11/296 CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL 19-DEC-61

I

A mainly Cl5 random stone and flint church with stone dressings. It incorporates stonework of tile earlier Norman church of circa 1140. The Cl5 square tower of random stone flint and brick has a castellated parapet a staircase turret and angle buttresses. There is some knapped flint chequer work at the base and some flat work ornamantation on the east side, The south-west buttress has words above a canopied niche, commemorating the wife of John de None fielder of the Manor in 1300 and builder of the tower. The Nave was built by the Barnardistons in 1420 and the roof is C16, a false hammerbeam flat above tile collar, as reconstructed by Lady Elizabeth Barnardiston circa C15. The south porch is C15 and bears the date on a wood panel in the apex of the Gable. Tile north and south aisles are also Cl5. The south door has a wicket inset. The Chancel, with a lead covered roof, is of the C14. The interior, probably one of the least restored churches in Suffolk, has a variety of original features. Much original woodwork, some crudely primitive benches, square topped, some with linen fold panelling. There is a fine canopied pew built for the Barnardiston family in 1610 and incorporating part of the original chantry screen of circa 1430. The 3-decker octagonal pulpit with sounding-board and back and 2 tiers of arcading is also of circa 1610. The chancel screen is dated 1619. There are some family box pews of 1730. At the West end of the nave there is a musicians gallery and stepped benches for childrens' catechism at the ends of the aisles, both dated circa 1750. The altar rail and sanctuary panelling was erected by Sir Samuel Barnardiston in 1710. Under the nave and aisles are 4 vaults containing 54 lead coffins. The church is rich in mural and other monuments. The tombs of the Barnardiston family include the following. Sir Thomas and Elizabeth Barnardiston (d. 1503 and 1526.), with recumbent figures. 3 other Sir Thomas Baarnardistons have tombs, one (d. 1542) part of an Easter sepulchre, is now set up as a mural, the other (d. 1619) has recumbent figures and the 3rd (d. 16l0) has an elaborate canopy, with kneeling figures. Nathaniel Barnardiston (d, 1653) and his wife has a mural with half- length figures. In the North aisle there is a mural to Sir Philip Skippon (d. 16l9). The church clock with a single hand, situated on the East side of the tower, was made in Braintree in 1729.

Listing NGR: TL7050247026

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
283216
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07470/05
Rights: Copyright IoE David Guthrie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].