CHURCH OF ST GENEVIEVE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1376962
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GENEVIEVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GENEVIEVE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376962.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:47:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GENEVIEVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Euston
National Grid Reference:
TL9006178493

Details

TL 97 SW EUSTON EUSTON PARK

5/33 Church of St. 14.7.55 Genevieve - I

Parish church. 1676: rebuilt by Lord Arlington on the foundations of the medieval church. Exterior rendered and lined, with freestone quoins and dressings: slate roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, and a vestry to the south of the chancel. The tower appears to have a medieval core: in 4 stages, with diagonal buttresses to all 4 corners, and a pierced parapet with pinnacles at the corners. Louvred window openings to all 4 sides of the top 2 stages, and on the west only on the 2nd stage, all with the same Classical arched form. The remainder of the exterior has rusticated and chamfered quoins, plain parapets, and 2-light windows with round arches and a circle over (Venetian tracery - cf. Pevsner, 'The Buildings of Suffolk'). Circular windows to the clerestory, and a simple single-light east window with rounded head. Entry to the church is through the west end of the tower: panelled double doors in a semi-circular arched surround, up a rounded flight of steps. Matching entries on the north and south have been blocked. The inner entrance doorway, through the east wall of the tower, is similar but higher and more ornate than the outer doorway: entablature with moulded cornice surmounted by the Royal Arms, modelled in plaster. Cross-vaulted roofs to base of tower, nave, crossing and chancel, with plaster bands of guilloche ornament along the groins, and acanthus-leaf on capitals. Round the 4 arches of the crossing are wider plaster panels with formalised flowers in relief. The aisles, in 2 bays, extend the full length of the nave: the eastern bay of the south aisle has a large wall monument to Lord Arlington (d.1685) and an ornate plaster ceiling, decorated with fruit and flowers in high relief. This bay contains the family pew. On each side of the south transept window the reveals have been painted with panels of formalised foliage, which have been copied in high relief in panels of plaster down the sides of the chancel arch. All the interior woodwork is of the late C17: low box-pews in the nave and transepts with sunk fielded panels and raised moulded surrounds, double hinges and brass knobs. The low screen with openwork carving, the splendid pulpit, formerly with a sounding-board, and the reredos, all have fine ornate carving in the style of Grinling Gibbons. 4 early C16 brasses from the medieval church are set into the floor of the chancel. Late C19 alterations included in replacement of the font and the communion rails, and a carved panel of the Last Supper added to the reredos. The church contains memorials to the Dukes of Grafton, and other members of the Fitzroy family, in stained glass (north transept window of c.1865 to the fifth Duke), marble, and notably in small ornate brass panels on the walls. A photograph in the nave shows the interior before 1875, and there is a framed copy of the permit issued to Lord Arlington by the Bishop of Norwich to take down and rebuild the church.

Listing NGR: TL9006178493

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284154
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 39 Suffolk,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14152/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Francis Polaine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].