CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1376971
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376971.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:27:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Stanton
National Grid Reference:
TL 96588 73443

Details

TL 97 SE STANTON THE STREET (WEST SIDE)

3/49 Church of All Saints 14.7.55 (Formerly listed under General) II* Parish church. C14, restored 1875/6. Nave, chancel, south aisle and south tower, the ground storey used as a porch, but probably originally free- standing. A small vestry to the north of the chancel. Rubble flint, with freestone quoins and dressings; an admixture of stone in the east chancel wall. Plaintiled roofs; ornamental crosses to east and west gables. Angle buttresses to the west end of the nave. Range of 5 2-light windows on the north side of the nave and chancel, in Decorated style with curvilinear tracery, and 2 similar windows on the south side of the chancel. The 3-light east and west windows, restored in the C19, have reticulated tracery. 3 buttresses along the north side of the nave have stone panels with the mutilated remains of medieval inscriptions: the eastern buttress has the crowned capitals MR (for Maria Regina) and the middle buttress Omn(e)s S(ancti) for All Saints. Along the upper wall on the south side of the nave 5 small circular clerestory windows, quatrefoiled. The south aisle has a parapet and cornice with ball-flower ornament, a 3-light segmental-headed east window with reticulated tracery and 2 straight-headed 2-light windows on the south. The C14 tower collapsed in 1906, and only the bottom stage remains: moulded stone base and large diagonal buttresses, a simple doorway with pointed arch and continuous moulding, and one Y-tracery window on the east side. From 1906 until 1956 this bottom stage was roofed over and used as a porch. In 1956 the upper stage was rebuilt to a design of Marshall Sisson, which includes a louvred bell-chamber containing 4 bells reinstated from the previous tower: 3 with medieval Latin inscriptions, one dated 1566. The tower is linked to the western bay of the south aisle in a manner which suggests that the aisle is of slightly later date, and was constructed round the tower. To the east of the south doorway an ogee-headed niche has been roughly cut into the tower buttress for a stoup. C19 restoration of the interior includes the replacement of the nave and chancel roofs, the seating and the pulpit. High narrow chancel arch with a series of blocked sockets which formerly suppported parts of the rood screen and rood. To the south of the arch, the upper door of the stairs to the rood-loft. A piscina in the north-each corner of the nave, and sedilia and an ogee-headed piscina in the chancel. Nave arcade on south in 4 bays with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. Plain, heavy C16 timber roof to aisle. Between the 2 south windows of the aisle is a much-damaged but very fine tomb-recess, cusped and subcusped, and surmounted by a high crocketed ogee gable, covered in detailed carving. This is the finest feature of the church. At the west end of the aisle, a plain octagonal font with central pier surrounded by 8 small shafts on a high octagonal base. For further details on the history and fittings of the church, see David Dymond, The Churches of Stanton, Suffolk, a History and Guide.

Listing NGR: TL9658873443

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284312
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dymond, D, The Churches of Stanton Suffolk a History and Guide

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03411/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Raymond Warren. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].