Church of St Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1377621
Date first listed:
17-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Mucklestone

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377621.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Apr-2020 at 08:14:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Mucklestone

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)
Parish:
Loggerheads
National Grid Reference:
SJ 72552 37356

Details

SJ 73 NW 8/110

LOGGERHEADS C.P MUCKLESTONE Church of St Mary

17/11/66

GV II*

Parish church. Medieval or pre-Conquest origins, re-built, except for the mid-C14 West tower, in 1790 and again in 1883 by Lynam and Rickman of Stoke-on-Trent. Sandstone ashlar with machine tiled and graded slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one, west tower; north aisle extending full length of church, south porch.

Tower: tall, in three stages with angle buttresses; reticulated tracery to the west window and in the belfry openings; cusped single lights to the first and second stages (except on the west) and, on the south, rectangular slits lighting the internal stair turret; the embattled parapet with its corner pinnacles and gargoyle on the east side may well be later (probably C15); a narrow blocked doorway on the south has the inscription NW/179(?)0 above.

Continuous nave and chancel in five bays; flat-headed windows of three cusped lights, those in chancel (two eastern bays) with quatrefoils above; gabled stone porch in first bay from west with immediately to its west a single cusped window; East window of five lights has a curious form of reticulated tracery. The north aisle also of five bays is very similar in style but has a roof of large graded slates in the slope of which are three slate-hung gabled dormers; a pointed doorway between the first and second bays from the east and in the east wall an indecipherable inscription tablet.

Interior: good triple chamfered pointed tower arch (c.1340); the rest of the church and fittings are almost entirely of 1883, arch-braced roofs throughout (painted in chancel) with V-struts to the collars; the two eastern bays of the north aisle are screened off to form a north chancel chapel; octagonal font of 1850. All the stained glass (except in the single-light cusped window to the west of the porch) is by C.E. Kempe, of high quality, and ranges in date from 1891 to 1905. The only monuments of note are the C18 tablets to members of the Chetwode family on the east wall of the north chancel chapel. A priest is recorded here in Domesday.

Listing NGR: SJ7255237356

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
362592
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 207

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/04623/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Shenton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].