CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1377815
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, OCKHAM ROAD SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377815 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 14:54:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, OCKHAM ROAD SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Guildford (District Authority)
Parish:
East Horsley
National Grid Reference:
TQ 09524 52811

Details

TQ 05SE EAST HORSLEY C.P. OCKHAM ROAD SOUTH

5/53 Church of St. Martin 14/6/67

GV II*

Church. C12 Norman Tower with inserted C13 details, C15 and C18 alterations, all restored in 1869 by Henry Woodyer. Flint with stone dressings, rendered cladding to upper stage of tower and plain tiled roofs. Tower to west, Nave with chancel to east. Pentice roofed north aisle, north chapel and vestry, porch to south. Battle- mented, 2 stage tower; square with diagonal buttressing to west end. Cambered head louvred openings in the upper stage and brick-edged,lancet windows below on north and south faces. Stone edged lancets to lower stage. Clock face to west front flanked by two cambered head,louvered openings with lancet windows below. Remaining part of Church C19, in C13 lancet style with trefoil head windows to nave alternating with buttresses. Larger late C19 mullioned and transomed window to north chapel. C19 north door, C19 west doors in pointed arched, chamfered surround and C19 south door in gabled porch with cusped bracing and bargeboards. Interior:- 4 bay, nave-arcade, westernmost bay possibly C15, on octagonal piers with hollow chamfer to arches. Mid C15 chancel arch on half column responds. Timber posts to tower, braced, survive to west. Fittings:- Chalk and marble pulpit on round pillar alternating with twisted, gilded wrought iron rails on 4 piers with human corbels. Tub Font. Brasses: Several small effigies on south wall, north of chancel arch and north wall. Including one of Robert de Brantingham c1400 and one to John Boothe, Bishop of Exeter, died 1478. Monuments:- Most moved to north Nave wall. Chest Tomb to Thomas Cornwallis, Groom- Porter to Queen Elizabeth I, died 1626 and his wife. Half life-size effigies of alabaster on black topped chest in raised surround. End and central rails of sides twisted, with fleur-de-lys finial. Achievements on wall behind over winged cherubs head. Two good C18 Rococo wall cartouches to west end of north wall, one to James Ffox. Died 1753.

Listing NGR: TQ0952452811

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
288633
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01925/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dominic Cole. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].