Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377883.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jan-2021 at 12:18:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Guildford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 98538 50044


GUILDFORD STAG HILL SU 95SE (East Side) 1/230 Cathedral Church of 16/1/81 the Holy Spirit


Cathedral Church. Designed in 1932/3 by Edward Maufe, foundation stone laid in 1936. Eastern section to crossing completed in 1939, second stage begun in 1948 with the nave inaugurated by 1955; the Cathedral was consecrated in 1961, the chapter house finished in 1964 and the western garths completed in 1964/5. Modified gothic style with Arts and Crafts influences. Cruciform plan around a central crossing tower with half-octagonal end to Lady Chapel at east flanked by a sacristy and chapterhouse; aisled nave to west with projecting garths to north and south sides of the west end. Central tower has rebated angles and is crowned by a large gilt statue of an angel. Further stone sculptures placed on top of angle mouldings. Two-light, stone-dressed louvred openings on each face at bell stage with five pairs of small rectangular windows above under plain parapet. Balcony projections on each face, below louvred openings,with corbelled brick balustrades across in front of door in central 4-step brick surround and under cross-shaped keystone. Transepts to north (Queens Chapel) and south each with three 2-light, stone-dressed windows on east and west sides. Tall 4-light end windows in deep recesses with cross pattern tracery above. Paired double doors of bronze, designed by Maufe but executed by Vernon Hill, either side of central buttress pier on south transept, pier crowned by a figure of St. John the Baptist by Eric Gill. West front flanked by projecting garths, each with cambered cement hood over pointed-arched entrances to cloister walks, with carved keystones and cross decorations on capitals of cloister piers. Three lancet windows on west end in deep surrounds with piers alternating on stone buttress plinths. Three paired doors of bronze and glass, engraved by John Hutton. 7 bay north and south aisles with 2-light, stone-dressed arched windows with Christian virtues carved on central mullions. Low aisle-like church offices flank chancel with 4 leaded windows in stone surrounds to each. Bronze door on south aisle approached up a flight of steps. Roundel window in east gable of chancel with figure of Christ in Majesty by Anthony Forster to a design of Eric Gill. Angled east end of Lady Chapel with lancet fenestration alternating with offset buttresses crowned by statues of the Archangel Gabriel by Alan Collins, St Martha and St Catherine also by Collins, St Cecilia and Lady Margaret Beaufort by Dennis Huntley. Interior:- austere plain interior with white plaster rendering and Doulting lime- stone dressings to narrow deep window splays. Narrow high-vaulted aisles supported on piers without capitals, transverse arches crossing the vaults. Ambulatory beyond crossing with knife point arches. Octagonal chapter house parquet floored. Symbolism of plan:- The baptistry in the south garth at one of the south aisle and the ciborium at the east end of the aisle symbolises the Christian life from birth to death. Fittings:- 1950's Maufe designed lamps and narthex carpet. Octagonal font in baptistry under open fret-work gilt font cover of interlocking dove pattern. Fish and water carvings on font bowl, coloured marble flooring. Only the third Anglican Cathedral built in England since the C17.


Listing NGR: SU9853850044


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 269-270


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05189/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Norman Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].