Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1378187.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2021 at 20:04:46.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mole Valley (District Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 14977 55625


FETCHAM LOWER ROAD TQ/15/NW (south side, off) 2/52

7.9.51 Church of St Mary


Parish church. C11 and C12 nave and tower, with C13 chancel and north transept, tower partly rebuilt in late C17 or early C18; restored, porch added and north aisle added or rebuilt in C19. Knapped flint incorporating some Roman tiles, with limestone quoins, and brick quoins and bands to tower; roof mostly of red tiles, but with graduated stone slates on aisles and south side of chancel. Nave with north and south aisles, north porch, north transept and south tower opposed to it, and chancel. The 3-bay nave has full-height aisles under cat-slide roofs, that on the south side embracing the tower at the junction with the chancel which also overlaps it slightly. The 3-stage tower, each upper stage slightly set back above a weathered band of moulded brick, has large diagonal buttresses to the exposed corners (each with 3 brick-clad offsets), 2 restored round-headed lancets at ground floor, a similar lancet in the 2nd stage with a chamfered brick surround, a similar but taller belfry window in each side of the 3rd stage, with wooden louvres, and above that on the south side a deep band of diapering; and an embattled parapet. The west end of the nave has a large C19 2-centred arched 3-light window; to the right of this a vertical joint shows that the south aisle was an addition at the time it was rebuilt (confirmed by picture hanging inside church); both aisles have C19 coupled lancets, and in the centre of the north aisle a C19 gabled porch with deeply-moulded 2-centred arched outer doorway protects a C13 2-centred arched inner doorway with double-chamfered surround. The tall gabled north transept has a large C14 2-light window in the gable wall with trefoil lights and mouchette tracery, and 2 chamfered lancets in the east side. The chancel has 2 similar lancets in this side, a C19 3-light east window, and a large C15 square-headed window on the south side with 3 cinquefoil lights, chamfered surround and a hood mould. Interior: Norman 3-bay south arcade with massive circular piers and semicircular responds, scalloped square caps, and semicircular arches, and in the wall above the 1st pier a deeply splayed C11 window; C13 north arcade of 2 wider 2-centred chamfered arches on octagonal columns without capitals; a large 2-centred double-chamfered arch to the transept, which has a wide arched altar recess with dog-tooth enrichment, and a triangular-headed piscina; to the left of the chancel arch, remains of a similar but smaller recess; in the south pier of the chancel arch, a small 2-centred arched doorway to stone spiral stairs which formerly led to a rood loft (the corresponding upper doorway in the west side of the pier now blocked); deep splays to the lancet windows in the transept and the chancel; in the chancel, tripartite sedilia with polished colonettes (probably C19), a piscina with wooden shelf, and wall monuments to Anthony Rous (d.1631) and Henry Vincent (d.1631), the latter including a praying bust with an open book, in a cartouche with Corinthian colonettes; in the left side of the porch, a large lettered tablet dated 1717 recording details of a charitable trust.

Listing NGR: TQ1497755625


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08071/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].