ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIORY CHURCH OF ST DOMINIC

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1378775
Date first listed:
14-May-1974
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIORY CHURCH OF ST DOMINIC, SOUTHAMPTON ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1378775.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-May-2021 at 08:45:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIORY CHURCH OF ST DOMINIC, SOUTHAMPTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 27864 85151

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2785SE SOUTHAMPTON ROAD 798-1/40/1473 (West side) 14/05/74 Roman Catholic Priory Church of St Dominic

GV II*

Dominican priory church. 1874-83. By Charles A Buckler. Multi-colour stock brick with stone dressings. Slated roof with Lombard type frieze at eaves level. STYLE: Early English. PLAN: nave of 8 bays with clerestory; aisles with lean-to roofs and projecting gabled chapels separated by buttresses; transepts; polygonal apse. EXTERIOR: west front central gabled and buttressed entrance bay with pointed arched entrance of recessed orders having quatrefoil medallion with relief of Holy Family in tympanum; double wooden doors. Entrance flanked by blind traceried windows. 4-light traceried east window flanked by blind Y tracery windows; Lombard type frieze at apex base; apex with rose window and trefoil reliefs at angles. Eastern aisle windows of 2-light traceried centres flanked by blind pointed windows; buttresses flank moulded aisle entrances; seated statues of evangelists in niches above doors. Aisle and clerestory windows of plate tracery. INTERIOR: lofty with quadripartite timber vault. Piers with stiff-leaf capitals and steep pointed arches; clerestory with cast-iron gallery intended originally for cleaning and lighting. Designed as a shrine in honour of Our Lady of the Rosary, each of the 15 mysteries has its own chapel; 7 on either side of the nave with the high altar and sanctuary as the 15th dedicated to the Coronation of the Virgin. Transepts with chapels; that of St Dominic with reredos painted by Philip Westlake, others with richly carved stone reredoses. Stations of the Cross painted in Late Gothic style by NHJ Westlake, 1887. The Chapel of the Annunciation was the gift of Buckler who is depicted in the window. The High Altar was also designed by Buckler with central tabernacle, pinnacled Gothic tower and surmounted by a gilded imperial diadem. To either side, mosaics by Salviati. Some good stained glass by Gibbs and Howard, 1880. The planning, embodying a universal prayer in the structure of the buildings, is unique in England. HISTORICAL NOTE: one of the first buildings in England built by the revived Dominican Order, which bought the site in 1862.





Listing NGR: TQ2786485151

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
478128
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13150/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Washington. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].