Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379196.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 08:56:55.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 27019 85841



TQ2785NW WILLOW ROAD 798-1/28/1723 (South side) 14/05/74 Nos.1, 2 AND 3


Terrace of 3 houses, designed to appear as a single building. 1938. By Erno Goldfinger. Reinforced concrete with external walls faced in red brick. Floors carried on reinforced concrete columns and on the cylindrical drum from which the spiral staircase in the centre of the house is cantilevered. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys to front, 4 to rear. Continuous window opening at 1st floor level; 2nd floor, 7 windows. Ground floor with recessed entrances and garages; garages of Nos 1 & 3 project to support 1st floor balconies. Entrances with plain doors and rectangular sidelights. Metal framed casements. 1st floor window openings in concrete architrave having vertically set panes providing French windows to the balconies and continuing as a strip across a secondary opening with concrete architrave having picture windows alternating with windows of 2 rectangular lights. 2nd floor, 7 rectangular 2-light casements in concrete architraves standing forward from the brick surface. Parapet. Rear facade simpler with balcony over garden. INTERIOR: No.2 has the largest and most important interior, surviving with a richness of detailing as continually evolved by Goldfinger himself, who lived there until his death in 1987, and his artist wife Ursula. Lower floor divided as separate children's flat. Narrow ground floor with rubber-floored entrance hall, whence top-lit spiral stair with slim steel balustrade rises through house. Sculpture by Victor Passmore from their 'This is Tomorrow' exhibition collaboration, 1956, at base. First floor with living room overlooking rear garden with fitted bookcases and furniture, curved frame surround to formal wall for exhibiting paintings over fireplace, with study behind. In centre, Goldfinger's fitted work bench, set over a change in levels, with pairs of sliding screens to adapt space as artist's studio. Broader dining room across front, with broad window shelf, fitted furniture and dining table by Goldfinger. Later kitchenette to side added mid-late 1960s by Goldfinger. Bedroom floor simpler but retains much fitted furniture and top-lit bathroom with cupboards and fittings. HISTORICAL NOTE: the principal surviving artistic interior from the 1930s: a collection of modern artifacts and fittings within a Modern Movement house. It is a demonstration how the

Modern Movement in Britain at the end of the 1930s reasserted an interest in brick as a facing material. This terrace replaced an C18 row of cottages in what Goldfinger called "an adaptation of C18 style", based on a hierarchy of spaces that follows the Classical divisions; basement, piano nobile and attic. Goldfinger's own house, No.2, acquired by the National Trust in 1992.

Listing NGR: TQ2701985839


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13433/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].