This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 4-18 AND 4A-18A, WOBURN WALK

List entry Number: 1379210



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478578

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ2982NE WOBURN WALK 798-1/89/1734 (South side) 10/06/54 Nos.4-18 (Even) including Nos.4A, 6A, 8A, 10A, 12A, 14A, 16A, 18A (Formerly Listed as: WOBURN WALK Nos.1-9 (odd), Nos.4-18 (even) incl. 4A, 6A, 8A, 10A, 12A, 14A, 16A, 18A)


Terrace of 8 shops with accommodation over. c1822. Built by Thomas Cubitt, restored late C20. Stucco with wooden shopfronts. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars. 1 window each. Party walls of upper floors articulated by narrow recessed bays. Wooden shopfronts, much restored, with pilasters carrying continuous entablature with anthemion and palmette ornament to architrave; projecting, bracketed shop windows with rounded angles and small panes flanked by panelled and half-glazed doors with overlights. Upper floors have segmental-arched windows having plain architraves studded with paterae; 1st floor, 4 lights with cast-iron balconies, 2nd floor mostly tripartite. No.4 1st floor window has a cast-iron trellis verandah with tented roof. Parapets with plain bands, Nos 4, 10, 12 and 18 having shallow scrolled pediments above. INTERIORS: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: Thomas Cubitt was responsible for the development of the Bedford Estate north and east from Russell Square. This architecturally coherent and well surviving group of shopfronts, with Duke's Road (qqv) is an exceptional composition.

Listing NGR: TQ2989082520

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 29888 82520


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379210 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 01:21:58.

End of official listing