This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COMPRESSOR HOUSE, CHIMNEY, WHIM ENGINE HOUSE AND ELECTRICITY SUBSTATION AT ROBINSONS SHAFT, SOUTH CROFTY MINE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COMPRESSOR HOUSE, CHIMNEY, WHIM ENGINE HOUSE AND ELECTRICITY SUBSTATION AT ROBINSONS SHAFT, SOUTH CROFTY MINE

List entry Number: 1379231

Location

COMPRESSOR HOUSE, CHIMNEY, WHIM ENGINE HOUSE AND ELECTRICITY SUBSTATION AT ROBINSONS SHAFT, SOUTH CROFTY MINE, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Carn Brea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Oct-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478599

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 64 SE CARN BREA STATION ROAD (West side, off) 501/5/10011 Compressor House, Chimney, Whim Engine House and Electricity sub-station at Robinson's Shaft, South Crofty Mine

GV II*

Whim engine house (1908), and compressor house, chimney and electricity sub-station (1909). Killas rubble with granite and brick dressings, and corrugated sheet roofs. PLAN: Pumping shaft has single-depth engine house (qv) and boiler house(qv) to the E, whim engine house, compressor house, chimney and electricity sub-station to the N, and long carpenters' shop and workshops (qv) closing a yard to the W. EXTERIOR: Whim engine house has four raised windows to E side with timber lintels, including blocked one above inserted garage door to the left, S gable rebuilt in concrete block, N gable in two parts, that to the right narrower, with a single window, W wall windowless with an entrance to the left facing ruins of former boiler house. Compressor house has granite quoins and brick upper section to side walls, round-arched sash to E side and S gable, gable with oculi to top; W side has round-arched doorway and flanking windows, without joinery. Matching construction to sub-station, which has round-arched openings to N and W sides. free-standing chimney, truncated, of coursed rubble. INTERIOR: Compressor house has a softwood roof with iron tension rods and diagonal wood struts, and evidence of a traveller crane. HISTORY: This part of the South Crofty Mine was re-organised between 1900 and 1908, and the current buildings represent the mine as it was by 1914, with the loss of the 1903-6 miners' dry to the S side. The steam engine was moved here from Tregurtha Downs. It includes the paired engine houses for pumping and winding, the compressor house and its chimney, and the extensive workshop provision for the mine. The persistence of mining into the C20 in the Camborne/Redruth area has resulted in a number of extraordinarily well-preserved complexes such as Taylor's Shaft at East Pool, King Edward mine and the Tolgus tailings works. This is the most complete surviving part of the South Crofty workings, the last working tin mine in Europe which closed in 1998, remarkable for its degree of preservation in a national context and with a range of buildings including the engine house and boiler house (qqv) which are strongly representative of C19 and early C20 mine workings. (Trounson, J, Mining in Cornwall, Vol.1, 1985)



Listing NGR: SW6674641280

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Trounson, J , Mining in Cornwall, (1980)

National Grid Reference: SW 66746 41280

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379231 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 12:14:02.

End of official listing