CHURCH OF ST NICOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1379843
Date first listed:
04-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Jun-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICOLAS, GREAT COATES ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379843.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 02:58:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICOLAS, GREAT COATES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Great Coates
National Grid Reference:
TA 23328 09784

Details

GRIMSBY

TA2309NW GREAT COATES ROAD, Great Coates 699-1/14/99 (West side) 04/01/67 Church of St Nicolas (Formerly Listed as: GREAT COATES ROAD, Great Coates (West side) Parish Church of St Nicholas)

GV I

Parish church. c1200, extended in C13; C14 aisles and chancel, C14-C15 tower; late C18 clerestory and north aisle west window; restorations of 1865 by James Fowler of Louth; restorations of 1929-32, including new east window; repairs to roof by W and L Bond. MATERIALS: tower in weathered ironstone ashlar with limestone dressings and belfry stage; nave aisles in ironstone ashlar and coursed rubble with limestone dressings; brick clerestory; chancel in ironstone ashlar and rubble, cobbles, flint and chalk, with C20 east section in rock-faced limestone. Slate roofs. PLAN: 4-bay aisled nave with south door, 3-bay chancel, and west tower with west door. EXTERIOR: chancel with diagonal buttresses; pointed double-chamfered south doorway, pairs of restored pointed 2-light north and south windows with simple Curvilinear tracery; C20 rebuilt central section to east side with pointed 3-light window with reticulated tracery and wrought-iron letters "R S" above for Robert Sutton, patron of C19 restorations. North aisle: angle buttresses, pointed north door with 2 filleted orders, hoodmould with headstops; pair of partly restored triangular-headed 3-light windows with trefoiled lights and hoodmoulds; C14 pointed 3-light east window with reticulated tracery, filleted mullions and reveal; C19 pointed single-light west window. South aisle: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses; double-chamfered pointed south doorway with restored hoodmould, 3 square-headed 2-light traceried windows with hoodmoulds; pointed 2-light east window with reticulated tracery, filleted mullions and reveal. Clerestory: south side with pair of blocked openings and indications of straight joints. Tower of 2 main stages: moulded plinth, angle buttresses with set-offs. Tudor-arched west door with hoodmould and head stops, panelled door. Above, a frieze with a central cruciform

niche flanked by quatrefoil panels with shields. Pointed 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery and continuous hoodmould. Above, a small square-headed 2-light west window. Stepped-in upper stage with twin pointed 2-light belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery, deep hollow-chamfered reveals and linked hoodmould. String course with central gargoyle to each side. Embattled parapet with 8 crocketed finials on panelled shafts. Clockface to east, dated 1806, by Thwaites of Clerkenwell (originally from Willingham Hall, Lincs). INTERIOR: chancel with pointed trefoiled piscina, pair of C19 corbels for former rood screen, C19 reredos. Nave: 4-bay arcades with 3 east bays of c1200, and narrower later C13 west bay. North arcade of 3 round arches and pointed west arch, all of 2 plain orders. South arcade with slightly pointed, slightly chamfered arches. Both arcades have quatrefoiled east piers and responds with plain-moulded round bases and capitals, the west piers and responds with keeled foils, quatrefoiled abaci, circular seats and bases. C14 ogee-headed piscina in south aisle with mutilated bowl. Nave roof rebuilt in C19 and C20, possibly reusing some original tie beams and carved bosses. Tall pointed double-chamfered tower arch with plain-moulded capitals and chamfered base, organ loft with C19 railed gallery; chamfered 4-centred doorway to tower stairs. C14-C15 octagonal font with cusped panels and shields. Fragments of medieval stained glass with coats of arms in chancel north window and north aisle east window. C19 pulpit. MONUMENTS: include 2 brasses in chancel, one of 1420 to Lady Isabella, wife of Roger Barnardiston, with dog at feet, Gothic inscription and recesses for shields, another of c1503 with figure of Christ rising from the tomb with sleeping soldiers alongside, flanked by figures of Sir Thomas Barnardiston and wife Elizabeth, and 8 sons and 7 daughters, with Latin inscription scrolls from the mouths of the main figures, and border with faces and paterae and inscription to Barnardistons of "Mikkyl cotes". (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J, and Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 343-4; Nattes C: Drawing of Great Coates church: 1795-: BANKS COLLECTION; Grimsby Planning Department: Great Coates Conservation Area: Grimsby Borough Council: 1972-: NO.127; Grimsby Broough Council: Action for Conservation: 1972-: NO.127).



Listing NGR: TA2332709783

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
479277
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964), 343-344

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10222/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].