CHURCH OF ST MARY BY THE SEA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1379849
Date first listed:
30-Jun-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY BY THE SEA, HENEAGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY BY THE SEA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379849.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:10:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY BY THE SEA, HENEAGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 27862 09644

Details

GRIMSBY

TA2709NE HENEAGE ROAD 699-1/18/37 (East side) Church of St Mary by the Sea

GV II

Roman Catholic church. 1879-83 by ME and C Hadfield of Sheffield; altar of the Sacred Heart by Pugin and Pugin. Red brick in English garden wall bond with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. STYLE: Gothic Revival. PLAN: 4-bay aisled nave with west entrance and north chapel; 3-bay chancel with vestry to south. EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses with offsets to angles and between bays; sill string course; moulded, stepped and dentilled brick eaves cornice throughout. Nave: 3-light pointed trefoiled north and south windows. South side has a pair of stone-coped ground-floor canted bays for confession boxes. West end has central section flanked by buttresses, gabled surround to entrance with pointed moulded arch dying into jambs, niche above containing statue of Virgin and Child, string course stepped above entrance, pointed 5-light window with Geometric tracery. Coped nave gable with flush ashlar bands and slit-light. Nave north chapel has chamfered ashlar plinth, canted east side with central 2-light pointed traceried window flanked by trefoiled lancets beneath hoodmould, pointed trefoiled 3-light north window beneath hoodmould. Chancel: moulded ashlar plinth, pairs of trefoiled lancets to north and south sides with continuous hoodmould and flush ashlar bands; east end with angle buttresses and central buttress beneath 5-light window with hoodmould and flush ashlar bands; coped gable with finial. South side of chancel has foundation stone with Latin inscription dated 1880 and 1883, recording architect. South vestry, adjoining Presbytery (qv) has trefoiled 2-light windows, ovolo-moulded eaves cornice. Projecting 2-storey single-bay gabled organ chamber to south of chancel has a pair of lancets and, beside it, a stepped coped gable rising to a roof-chimney with a pair of octagonal shafts. Octagonal spirelet between nave and chancel with banded slates. INTERIOR: nave arcades of tall pointed double-chamfered arches on alternating cylindrical and octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases on tall octagonal plinths. Pointed moulded chancel arch with octagonal responds. Chancel has pointed arched south doorway with blocked arch and balcony above;

marble and wrought-iron sanctuary rails, marble altar and reredos flanked by blind arcaded panels containing piscina and aumbry; wooden wall panelling and carved floral frieze; pointed arched south doorway with blocked arch and balcony above; ornately-carved choir stalls. Nave has gallery with ornate front carried on octagonal wooden columns with tall stone bases; columned west organ gallery. Marble and wrought-iron pulpit with tester and balustraded staircase. Arch-braced nave and chancel roofs, the latter with painted panels. North chapel has elaborately sculpted stone altar and reredos with marble columns, demi-figures of Christ and saints in canopied niches, traceried panels with marble insets, stained glass windows above. 2 inscribed tablets in chapel, one recording the raising of the altar by Georgina Heneage and its dedication in 1887, the other an ornate memorial to Thomas Young of Kingerby, Lincs, benefactor of this church and of "many churches throughout the Shire". One of the last churches by the partnership of Hadfield and Son. Together with the neighbouring Presbytery and its associated garden walls (qv), forms part of a notable group of Victorian and Edwardian educational and religious buildings built on land provided by the Heneage Estate. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J, and Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 339; Grimsby - Action for Conservation: Grimsby Borough Planning Department: List of buildings of local architectural or historical interest: Grimsby Borough Council: 1972-: NO.103; Ambler RW: Great Grimsby Fishing Heritage: a brief for a trail: Grimsby Borough Council: 1990-: 48).



Listing NGR: TA2786209644

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
479283
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964), 339

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14888/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].