WEST LOCK TO ROYAL DOCK INCLUDING RAILINGS AND BOLLARDS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1379869
Date first listed:
30-Jun-1999
Statutory Address:
WEST LOCK TO ROYAL DOCK INCLUDING RAILINGS AND BOLLARDS, ROYAL DOCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST LOCK TO ROYAL DOCK INCLUDING RAILINGS AND BOLLARDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379869.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 15:52:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEST LOCK TO ROYAL DOCK INCLUDING RAILINGS AND BOLLARDS, ROYAL DOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 27787 11314

Details

GRIMSBY

TA2711SE ROYAL DOCK, The Docks 699-1/5/128 West lock to Royal Dock including railings and bollards

GV II

Sea lock to Royal Dock. 1849-52, by James Rendel, engineer, with Adam Smith of Brigg as resident engineer, and Hutchins, Brown and White, contractors, for Grimsby Dock Company. York stone sides with late C20 steel capping. The lock, measuring 300 by 70 feet, with a 27-foot depth of water on the sill at spring tides, flanks the west side of the island pier on which the Dock Tower stands (qv), and is larger than the parallel lock on the east side (qv). Ashlar walls with recesses for 2 sets of lock gates and the outer flood gates, with water depth inscribed alongside in Roman numerals. The gates are C20 replacements. Alongside are small areas of York stone paving incorporating channels for hydraulic gear, twin and single cast-iron mooring bollards, and iron railings incorporating some C19 sections with column principals with ball finials. HISTORY: the Royal Dock (qv), opened in 1852, was used primarily for trade with Europe and the Baltic, and its foundation stone was laid at the site of the lock gates by Prince Albert in 1849(commemorated by the Statue of Prince Albert in front of the Dock Offices (qv). The gates, originally moved by water hydraulic power provided by the low-pressure hydraulic Dock Tower, and later by the high-pressure accumulator tower to the west (qv), are now powered by oil hydraulics. The Royal Dock and its 2 entrance locks (this one and its partner east lock) are notable for the technical innovations in dock structure and the use of hydraulic systems. The locks are believed to be one of the first major uses of hydraulic power, and the only low-pressure system of this type to be built. (Civil Engineering Heritage: Labrum EA: Eastern and Central England: London: 1994-: 52-4; A guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Lincolnshire & S.Humbs: Wright NR: Lincoln: 1983-: 16-18; University of Hull Publications: Gillett E: A History of Grimsby: London: 1970-: 214-5; Ambler RW: Great Grimsby Fishing Heritage: a brief for a trail: Grimsby Borough Council: 1990-: 17-18, 20-22).

Listing NGR: TA2778711314

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
479304
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gillett, E, A History of Grimsby, (1970), 214-215
Wright, N R, A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Lincolnshire16-18
Labrum, E A, 'Civil Engineering Heritage' in Eastern And Central England, (1994), 52-54

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Dec 2005
Reference: IOE01/14894/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].