CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1380049
Date first listed:
20-Aug-1971
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CARLTON HILL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380049.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2021 at 15:38:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CARLTON HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31705 04374

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3104SE CARLTON HILL 577-1/41/109 (North side) 20/08/71 Church of St John the Evangelist

II

Anglican church. 1838-1840. Designed by George Cheeseman Junior for the Rev. Henry Michell Wagner; builders, George Cheeseman and Son. Altered and restored by LA Mackintosh in 1957; since 1986 it has been used by Carlton Hill Greek Orthodox church. Stone, painted brick in Flemish bond, stucco cement. Gable-facing roof, hipped to the north. PLAN: although the elevation suggests that the church is planned on a north-south axis, the axis of the square nave is, in fact, west-east, with a shallow, rectangular chancel recess to the east. Vestry to ritual south-east corner. U-shaped gallery to nave is entered through square vestibules containing stairs to the galleries. Greek Revival style. EXTERIOR: facade of ritual west end divided into 3 bays by 4 giant Tuscan pilasters which support a massive entablature with triglyph and metope frieze; the centre bay of the facade is wider than the ends and recessed, with flat-arched entrances on its returns; above the centre bay is plain pediment with gable coping. There is a metal cross to peak of pediment and a bell cote behind. To either side of the centre recess is a flat-arched entrance with a wide lintel treated as an entablature having a triglyph and metope frieze; this entrance is set into an aedicule consisting of a pair of fluted Tuscan pilasters, entablature, and pediment with raking cornice, all executed in stucco cement. Above each aedicule is a roundel, the left with the monogram topped by a crown, mark of the architect LA Mackintosh; the right bears the symbol of the dedication saint, the eagle; both roundels in white on a blue field. Side walls and rear in purplish-brown brick laid in English bond; tall camber-arched windows with gauged brick lintels light the nave and gallery. Single-storey vestry off right return articulated by Tuscan pilastrade. Stone at foot of right return reads: "This Corner Stone placed on October 15th, 1838. [obscured] M. Wagner. Architect [obscured]" INTERIOR: entrance to chancel, which is now partly obscured by Greek iconostasis, flat arched through antae supporting an entablature. Wood reredos built as memorial to 1914-1918 war: panelled with pilasters of Composite order, segmental pediment over centre. Gallery around 3 sides supported on 10 cast-iron Doric columns; responds to the east wall; gallery fronts treated as plain entablature with parapet. The broadly splayed windows are bisected by the galleries and filled with opaque glass. The plain walls terminate in an entablature with broad soffit. The flat ceiling is divided into 9 panels by broad, shallow beams; the centre panel is the largest and ornamented with an octagonal pattern; the remaining ones are subdivided into geometric figures. The nave benches, which date from the mid to late C19, are arranged so as to form a centre and side aisles. At the north-east corner of the nave a wood pulpit of mid C19 and opposite the chancel under the gallery is an 8-sided stone baptismal font with wood cover and wrought-iron rail: the latter 2 features are in the Gothic Revival style. The organ is located in the centre of the west gallery. In front of it, fixed to a railing, are the Royal Arms. Memorial plaques of note include: Sophia Jackson, ob. 1845, and Caroline Drummond, ob. 1868 both on west wall; on north wall to Laetitia Tilbury Tarner, who lived in nearby Tilbury Place. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 30; Dale A and Wagner A: The Wagners of Brighton: London/Chichester: 1983-: 52-53; Guide to the Parish Church of Saint John the Evangelist: Brighton).



Listing NGR: TQ3170504374

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
479523
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Guide to the Parish Church of Saint John The Evangelist Brighton
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990), 30
Dale, A, Wagner, A, The Wagners of Brighton, (1983), 52-53

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14542/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Esther Harbour. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].