11, DYKE ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1380450
Date first listed:
05-Jul-1973
Statutory Address:
11, DYKE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 11, DYKE ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380450 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jun-2019 at 09:20:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
11, DYKE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30742 04378

Details

BRIGHTON

TQ3004SE DYKE ROAD 577-1/39/205 (South West side) 05/07/73 No.11

II

School, now a night club. 1867. By George Somers Clarke Senior for the Swan Downer School, which was founded in 1816 for the education of 20 poor girls; the foundation stone was laid by the Rev HM Wagner in 1867. Brown brick laid in English bond with dressings of red brick and stone, now painted to the level of the springing of the entrance; roofs of tiles and lead. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 2-window range to Dyke Road. There is an entrance wing to the left, under a steeply hipped roof, and a main wing to the right under a higher, pitched roof. Flat-arched entrance under a pointed arch with an ogee hoodmould, the tympanum filled with a shield and scrolls. 2 pairs of lancets in the main wing, each pair divided by a column which supports part of the vaulting below the first-floor oriel; chamfered corner to first floor with a traceried niche at the head. Oriel window to first floor in the form of a broad bay supported on shafts and vaulting, the larger, central shaft in the form of a squat column with capitals of interlaced foliage, the subsidiary shafts rising from between the ground-floor windows; the vaulting and the lower part of the oriel window have lost their details; the bay itself has 4 windows to the front and one to each side, divided by exceedingly slim columns with spiral fluting to the lower part and tiny capitals; above them toplights with mouchette tracery of great inventiveness; cornice with ballflower ornament and gargoyles to the corners; hipped lead roof to the bay, divided into 2 so as to give place to a lozenge window with original mouchette tracery and a crocketed hoodmould with foliage finial. 3-light window over the entrance, its blank toplights decorated with mouchettes, quatrefoils and shields; cornice with now decayed heads above; parapet decorated with S-scrolled openwork; the principal gable has tumbled-in brickwork and openwork stone crowstepping terminating in a finial; external side stacks corbelled out below the eaves with tumbled-in brickwork and offsets; the roof to the entrance wing has leadwork apparently for a finial, now missing. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Carder T: The Encyclopedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).





Listing NGR: TQ3074204378

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
480612
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].