This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1380460



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480637

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ20NE DYKE ROAD, Preston 577-1/3/1032 (North East side) Church of the Good Shepherd


Anglican church. The foundation stone at the west end is dated 1920 and several rainwater heads carry the date 1922; the east end was extended in 1927. Designed by Edward Prioleau Warren and built at the expense of Alice Mary Moor in memory of her husband Gerald Henry Moor, Vicar of Preston. Brown brick with dressings of stone and concrete, roof of tiles. PLAN: chancel and nave under one roof; south-east chapel, north-east vestry and chapel, north-west porch and south-west tower (all directions are ritual). EXTERIOR: the east end has a 5-light window under a 4-centred arch with one transom, the lower panels blank, the upper lancets being trefoiled and plain alternately; 3-light east window to cross-gabled south-east chapel; parapeted vestry and north-east chapel gabled to west; 4 aisle windows to either side, formed of 3 and 5 plain lancets alternately with buttresses between, and a number detailed in concrete; one broad hipped dormer to each side, and a deep bellcast to the roof over the aisles; gabled north-west porch. The west end has 5 stepped lancets detailed in concrete under a segmental pointed arch of 3 courses of stepped brickwork and a statue of the Good Shepherd in an ogee niche in the apex of the gable. The south-west tower has a pointed-arched porch with engaged columns, hollow-moulded archivolt and hoodmould; clasping buttresses with 2 offsets, and a polygonal stair tower at the south-west corner; deep offset over ground floor, first-floor windows are flat-arched pairs with pairs of narrow lancets above; another offset and then the bellstage with 2 pairs of lancets linked by a single hoodmould; cornice, embattled parapet, copper fleche with weather vane. INTERIOR: the interior is of brick plastered, and nave and chancel are under a single roof, the sanctuary, choir and nave distinguished only by steps and by a rood beam between nave and chancel. Nave arcade of 5 bays with square piers carrying low, slightly chamfered pointed arches, and passage aisles with stone lintels running out from the piers, carved with an ogee moulding on each face. The panelled roof is jettied out slightly from the chancel and more from the nave, with the nave coving decorated with shields carrying emblems of the Passion; the vertical ribs and ridge of the roof decorated with coloured banding in the style of GF Bodley, and the easternmost bay decorated with sacred emblems; the south-east chapel has a similar, simpler roof and a reredos in late Gothic style, possibly by WHR Blacking, with a painted triptych signed with the monogram HRM; 2 stained-glass windows in the south-east chapel by Ward and Hughes, and the chancel east window possibly by the same firm; gilded organ case in a late Gothic style by WHR Blacking. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-; Pevsner N & Nairn I: The Buildings of England: Sussex: Harmondsworth: 1965-).

Listing NGR: TQ2979706308

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I, The Buildings of England: Sussex, (1965)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29797 06308


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1380460 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 07:25:32.

End of official listing